ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ongoing saga continues. For whatever the reasons I am feeling like the culprit in this reliability problem may be the air flow meter. A remanufactured AFM from O'Reilly's is $184. Seems like a deal to me where as a new one from Nissan is over $500.

My questions are:

1. Would you putz with the old AFM before getting rid of it. The car runs a little on the rich side. Many have cautioned me against adjusting the AFM without a CO meter. But what could a quarter turn hurt?

2. Has anyone ever purchased an AFM from O'Reilly's and what was your experience?

3. Will the new one need to be set up with a CO meter or are they set up from the rebuilders.

And for the record. I have Nissan factory manuals for my 83T and 86T but they are $100 apiece. I purchased a Haynes manual for the 77 but it is clearly not as comprehensive as the Nissan ones. My logic is that I would rather apply $100 towards the cost of a new AFM than the manual. Also, I have seen electrical components that haved spec'd out but still did not work on the car and needed to be replaced. My 86T was full of them.

As always, thank you and I look forward to your wisdom and advice. John

·
Registered
497 Posts
Is this on the 77 car? If so, check that the coolant temp sensor connectors are free from corrosion before you start replacing expensive parts. You could even replace the coolant temp sensor just to be sure, it is a lot cheaper (25-30 bucks), and most of the time it is the culprit. Also check and clean the bullet connectors that lead to the coolant temp sensor they are right near the 1-2 injectors.

Turning on the screw on the AFM won't change the mixture much. Unscrew it to lean and screw in to richen the mix.

hope this helps,
Aren

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I think you my sh*t if you find out the afm did'nt solve the problem... My money is on the FSM. For $70.00 at Courtsey Nissan, it is money well spent in buying unneeded parts. Aren's advise is good... clean those sensors and for god sakes, get a **** FSM!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.