ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a subject that seems to have some pretty strong camps on both sides. I personally will go with F.I. every chance I get because I don't like dinking around with the system all the time.
Yes, F.I. systems are primarily used by OEM's due to emissions requirements an ease of maintenance. An aftermarket unit, however, in the hands of someone that is computer literate, can end up with some great maps for both torque and HP across a much wider range than carbs can accommodate.
Carbs are great for the guy who is mechanically oriented (like me) who wants to tune his fuel system for specific types of performance. They also tend to work better on engines that are highly boosted - although injection systems, for a significant price, can also be modified to run there.
Look at the the professional applications of both systems, drag racing, Nascar, Formula 1, etc. Each type of fuel system is used there for a reason. The pro's found that type of system works best for the application.
I've spent a little time with the book and I'll take FI everytime for my applications. If I want more HP I'll buy an aftermarket chip that will add another 75 HP and be done with it.
My car is a daily driver. That means it drives inthe rain too. Think about 400 HP in a 2800 lb car with 3.90 gears in the rear on rain/oil slick streets. Sounds a bit suicidal to me. I have enough trouble at this point of time with my stock L28. If I were going to a track it would be another story. My long term goal is to just have a few pony car drivers tripping over their tongues.
Phantom

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.