ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to finally swap out the parts to put CV axles from a 81 turbo into my 71 240 today. man is that a tight fit. according to the article on the zhome tech page there should be a inch or two freeplay, but I don't see any in my car. I'd like to hear any body else's experience doing this swap. Either posted or to me personally. I've seen one car done in person, but it was a drag car. It was Uthor's car and he said he shortened the companion flange about 3/8 per side and moved the seal in as far as possible. I still don't feel safe with that little clearance in the suspension/driveline. I'm going to go junkyard hopping tomorrow with a tape measure to try and find shorter shafts or flanges to give me a little more room. Any ideas
out there? The rear is a R200 LSD.
Greg
71 240z turbo
Arlington, Texas

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: To anyone who has done the CV swap</b>

hi greg sorry cant help you out however i have a 240 also ready for an engine swap whats under your hood?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The guys at my shop notched the mustache bar with a plasma cutter and moved the rearend over. They said only one side was tight. Sorry don't remember which. Anyway, if one side is tight move it away from that side. DO NOT USE A TORCH IT WILL WEAKEN THE METAL AND THE MUSTACHE BAR WILL BREAK!!!!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BOOST wrote:
-------------------------------
The guys at my shop notched the mustache bar with a plasma cutter and moved the rearend over. They said only one side was tight. Sorry don't remember which. Anyway, if one side is tight move it away from that side. DO NOT USE A TORCH IT WILL WEAKEN THE METAL AND THE MUSTACHE BAR WILL BREAK!!!!

Thanks, Boost. I was trying the passenger side yesterday. I'll take a look at the drivers side today and see if I can move it over a little.
To Stephen--what do you want to know? My car is a 71 240 with a 81 turbo block. Mildly ported P90 head, stock block otherwise. T3/T4 turbo with external deltagate (don't ask me the specifics, but it has 4 inch inlet and is bigger than my Grand National's!) Spearco intercooler, ford 60mm throttle body, custom sheetmetal intake, 440cc injectors and some 550cc laying around if I need those. full 3 inch exhaust, downpipe back will be stainless. Half inch feed lines and 3/8 return being fed with a SX pump and regulator. Borg warner T-5 Trans with turbo flywheel and dual friction clutch. Limited slip rear with CV joints, toyota front brakes with 81 turbo rear discs. Engine management is a Fel-Pro setup with sequential injection, wideband O2 sensor, and distributorless ignition system. If anybody wants me to emil them a pic of the car or something specific just send me an email. Nothing in the engine bay is assembled yet, but everything is laying around getting installed or ready to be installed right now.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
the part about moving the diff would scare me a bit not that i really know that much about it but to take the diff and move it sidewards seems that it would be off of center at high speeds that may cuase a problem i would think all so would that put the drive line out of balance just a thought

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.