1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's new tire time and I have decided to retain
the stock Iron Cross 4.5 wheels. I'm looking
at increasing tread size to 225/60/14. Can anyone
verify these will safely fit w/o any mods or using wheel spacers? I'm concerned about contact with the springs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> It's new tire time and I have decided to
> retain
> the stock Iron Cross 4.5
> wheels. I'm looking
> at increasing tread size to 225/60/14. Can
> anyone
> verify these will safely fit w/o any mods or
> using wheel spacers? I'm concerned about
> contact with the springs.

I put a set of 225-60-14's on my 77 with the stock steel wheels and there is no problem with clearance. They ride well and look great.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I put a set of 225-60-14's on my 77 with the
> stock steel wheels and there is no problem
> with clearance. They ride well and look
> great.

I have an 81 280zx, and am considering replacing the Vipers that are on the car right now with something that has grip. Currently I have 205/60/15's on the car, and am considering going to 225/55/15 or something in between.

Can anyone suggest a good cheap summer high performance tire, and why? It's so hard to get good info on tires.

I don't car about wet traction or treadlife. I want a soft tire that has loads of dry grip and corners well, but is as cheap as possible.

Thanks,

Darryl

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darryl,

If all you want is traction, try checking the membership of the nearest SCCA chapter. There are good deals to be had on used or scuffed racing tires; and compared to street tires, there will still be grip-o-plenty left in them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
> Darryl,

> If all you want is traction, try checking
> the membership of the nearest SCCA chapter.
> There are good deals to be had on used or
> scuffed racing tires; and
> compared to street tires, there will still
> be grip-o-plenty left in them.

This is not a good idea. First of all it's illegal! Racing tires are not Department of Transportation (DOT) approved. These tires are a lot thinner than DOT approved tires. They could puncture easily if you hit ANYTHING. Because they're thin, you can't plug them.

Your next option is R rated tires. These are probably what you're looking for. Unfortunately, their pretty expensive. Go to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfg/bfg_gforce_r1_f.html

Not all tires are available in all sizes.

Lee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.