ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
107,597 Posts
i went from 195/70/14's on rear to 205/70/14's,,,,,did'nt think it would make much of a difference, but i don't have the takeoff that i had,,,but my cruising rpm has dropped. just go to a tire dealer,,,and they have a chart with the diameter of the tire on your car. get them to tell you what wider size has the same diameter. if you want more takeoff and don't do much highway driving, go with a little smaller diameter. on stock wheels, i would'nt go much wider than 215 or 225, the tread will start to round and you will end up with a dangerous situation. other than that, it should clear the springs fine, but if you go to an aftermarket wheel, go to a shop that can fit that type and size up so you don't pay for a set of wheels that sit against the springs. i don't like the idea of adapters and spacers(VW experience,,,had a wheel pass me,,,,adapter broke) and spacers change the geometry of the suspension and steering. go too far out there, and you'll be scared to drive in the rain. every little puddle will suck you in it's direction.

· Registered
166 Posts
I went from stock 195/70R14 to 235/60R14 on the rear with no problems...a little bit of feathering, but that may just be the way I drive.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I put 225-70-15 on my 83 Turbo AT, wanting about 10% better gas milage.
That is about as large a diamator as I could go, it fills the hole nicele, I think they look better then the 205-60-15s that came with the car.

Lee

· Registered
168 Posts
225/60/R14's on American Racing chrome (steel) 14 x 7 wheels. It looks quite agressive and the tire just comes out even with the fender lip.

I'll be selling this setup soon for probably $100 + shipping. I can send a photo if you like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.