ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very lightly modified '83 280zxt, (exaust, air intake, planning to intercool and run about 14 psi)
What would you guys recommend for tire width? How about diameter? I am also planning to buy low profile tires (I like to corner and i don't want to roll my tire off the rim, happened to my friends mustang(hehehe)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know bigger diameter = loss of a few horses
My stock ZX wheels (14 inch) have 215/60s on them....they work fine!
what kind of wheels are they?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Problem with 215x60x14 is they don't make one with a compound that's worth a darn, nobody. All the tires in this size are hard compound and they don't stick worth a ****. If you try to put some HP to them you will get the show stopper burnouts but you won't go anywhere. Have have the t-shirt (and the poor AutoX time slips) to prove it :)

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire sizes up close and personal

As for rim width, check the web page of the respective tire manufactuers. If you want to know how far a certain size is going to throw your speedo out of whack, check out http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi
Wipe out the sizes they list in the box, then type in the sizes you want to get stats on, and hit compute. You'll get the percentage difference in size. Take your standard highway speed 55,65,75,85,95,etc... and multiply it with the percentage (ie 65mph at 3.6% over is 65 x 1.036) and there's your real speed. This will vary slightly with tire brand, but not much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.