ZCar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 280ZX that calls for tires 195/70R 14, and they look a little small
Did later years (1981 - 1983) use a larger tire? I know they switched to a 5 spoke rim style in later years
Can I squash a larger Tire onto my rims?

My Rims:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Newer Rims:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
You can start by googling "1983 280ZX tire size:"

Nissan 280ZX 1983 All trims
TireRim
195/70R146.5Jx14 ET0
205/60R156.5Jx15 ET0

So the stock 14" tire was unchanged through 1983. However, there has been a fair amount of discussion about tire options in the past. Searching this forum is your best action.

I did a quick search for "biggest tire 280ZX" here and found a number of threads, includign this one:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you google it, it looks like the entire 280ZX series (1980 thru 1983) was availible with 14" and 15" rims
Is that other rim I showed in my pics above the 15" rim?
....confused

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have been running the 280ZX 6 spoke 14x6 inch wheels with 205/60/14 tires for many years on my 71 240Z.
I just recently upgraded to KONIG wheels in 16x7 inch size with 205/55/16 tires.

The old wheels and tires.

The new wheels and tires.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Maybe snap a couple pics to see their condition and give me a price....
I live in the people republic of Massachusetts as far as shipping goes.
As they've been with the car for over 30 years, and I've got the space to store them, and the crappy tires have only about 1k miles, I'll hang on to them. If you were local, and there was no shipping involved, maybe I'd consider selling.

Honestly, these look better to me, and if polished up...

Mine originally had gold highlights in the spokes, and if you look closely, some is still evident.

The problem is getting decent 14 inch tires also. The ones I got are called FEDERAL, and the other choice was NANKANG locally. The FEDERALS are junk compared to the FALKEN brand tires I've been running for over 20 years. 205/60/14 is getting harder to find. That's why I upgraded to 16s, as 15s are getting scarcer also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have those 'Iron Cross' style rims on my 1980
I think those rims are ugly as ****, just my personal opinion
For originality sake I suppose I will keep the old rims
But for ordinary use and daily driver I think those 6-spoke ones look soooo much nicer

·
Registered
288 Posts
^ Agreed.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

I at one time had the 15 inch Turbo wheels. One month on the car, and away they went to a local Z club member. Nope.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Honestly, don't recall. Not on car long enough. Did not like look at all.

The new wheel and tire combo is a huge improvement. Car feels like it did on the Yokohamas or Falkens from before, maybe better. It does have Tokico Illumina adjustable struts, European market Z springs, a bigger front sway bar with poly bushings, poly TC rod bushings, and front and rear strut bars. Handles great... again! A bit more feedback through the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,883 Posts
I have those 'Iron Cross' style rims on my 1980
I think those rims are ugly as ****, just my personal opinion
For originality sake I suppose I will keep the old rims
But for ordinary use and daily driver I think those 6-spoke ones look soooo much nicer
If you don't like them (I like them very much) for heaven's sake don't ever get rid of them. Keep them stored safely if you buy other wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 1980 280ZX that calls for tires 195/70R 14, and they look a little small
Did later years (1981 - 1983) use a larger tire? I know they switched to a 5 spoke rim style in later years
Can I squash a larger Tire onto my rims?

My Rims:
View attachment 109680

Newer Rims:
View attachment 109681
Back in the day when Z cars owned the streets some guys ran the 205s; the tire being taller filled the well and gave the car a bit of a jacked up look. It was not the norm and these were 240, 260 , and 280Z models vice your ZX. I thought they had a cool look but I stayed with the 195 till current day. Today there’s so much available with offset rims and sick tires you might consider something other.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts