ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this done to your tires? It is supposed to increase traction and tire life by about 20%.
discount tire advertises it big time.
Any experience out there?
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
What is this? I've never heard of it Phantom. By the way long time no see. I was one of the guys at that car club meeting in Burleson u went to one time. U still have the nicest Z in the area. We would like to see it again and we have several new members who would love to see that car. If u can make it sometime we would love to have u join us again.

Adam Gilbert
Redline Autosports Member

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Tire Siping</b>

Yea, hmm.

I don't doubt the extended life but do realize the improved traction is for wet conditions, at best. Your dry traction would certainly diminish. All season tires have sipes in them, no (i think) ultra high performance tire does. There is a reason for this. have you ever noticed that all season tires squeal when cornering hard? That's the siping allowing the tire to flex and vibrate, ultimately loosing traction. Unless, your looking for better traction on snow and ice, I wouldn't reccomend them.

Just my opinion,

Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I Disagree with Matt

I bought a set of Yokohama H rated tires from Americas Tire. I got talked into siping them, and it was the rainy season. At first I noticed the increase in wet traction, then I got to thinking about what the salesman was saying about summer traction. He said that the siping would allow the tire to breathe better and stay cooler. So far, I have had amazing traction compared to the goodyears i replaced! It could be just the yokohamas, but I dont regret the siping!
Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: The idae of chopping up my tread...</b>

Well, When the top tire makers start siping their z rated tires.....maybe I'll, hmm.

I don't know for sure...but, Joe, you are braver than I. The idea of chopping up my tread scares me. What happens to the performance speed rating for that tire? You're slipping along at 120 mph and it might vaporize. Yikes!!! I'll take the less faster wearing tread design, thanks.

Maybe someone with a little effort could e-mail Dunlop and ask them what their technical call is.

Later,

Matt.

Ps. Wayne has a great point. Are they siping the tires in pit row???? Man if they could get better traction and a few more laps out of those, Labonte and other cereal box racers would be kicking even more butt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.