ZCar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280ZX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
Looking for tips for best way to fix the louver holes. I'm no body guys so I'll probably take it to a body shop. Should I ask for a quick bondo fill or weld and grind? If I go bondo I suppose I could to that....maybe....
I'm just going to ask for a quick prime on top as I'm planning to have the whole thing painted once I've got it ready.
Thoughts and tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Darren

PS - Getting ready to sell a set of louvers cheap in NC if anybody is interested before I post them.

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Eyebrow Liquid Eyelash Fluid Plumbing fixture

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are going to spend your hard-earned money on a new paint job, do yourself a favor and have the holes repaired properly. Weld and grind. Just be aware that the hatch metal is very thin and will warp easily. A good body shop should be able to handle it though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are the upper holes very close to the window gasket? Mine are. I am getting ready to have my louver holes welded, but the upper holes make me nervous. Should I leave the glass in to provide resistance to warping? Or will the gasket melt in the process? Or would that matter?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should wait to weld the holes once the glass is out. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,668 Posts
Are the upper holes very close to the window gasket? Mine are. I am getting ready to have my louver holes welded, but the upper holes make me nervous. Should I leave the glass in to provide resistance to warping? Or will the gasket melt in the process? Or would that matter?

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should wait to weld the holes once the glass is out. Any thoughts?
A welding expert should make that determination.

·
Registered
1983 280ZX coupe
48 Posts
As a retired certified welder I was a firm believer in using copper backups, as they absorb heat real quick, reduce warpage and welds no not stick to it. A MIG welder with 75% argon/ 25% CO2 gas works great and don't try to fill in the holes at one shot. Fill them in a little at a time, moving from 1 hole to the next and so on. I see you have 2 holes close together, so I would skip over that second hole and only work on it until the first hole is filled and the metal has cooled.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its like old school 1950s truck window seals. You may have to heat it up a little with a hair dryer. You have to lift the inside edge to get it off. Be careful with the stainless trip as it bends EZ. Take the corners off first, then slide the long trim toward the corner.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
where in NC are you? how much are you asking for the louver and do you have pics?

follow the advice from the guys above here. I think they pretty much cleared it. A good body shop/welder will be able to do this properly.

Bon - from Fay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts