Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several questions here...

On my L24 the timing notches are just lines etched across the crank. The Haynes illustration shows something quite different. My question is, what is the value of the first line on the crank? 0?

Also, I'm looking for a good initial timing setting. The engine is a fresh rebuild with a Crane cam (.450 lift, 226 in/236 ex), 280 intake and exhaust valves, full port and polish on the head, 83.5 mm JE forged pistons, ZX electronic distributor and MSD Digital ignition. The Haynes manual has two settings for an L24, smogged (10 degrees) and no smog (17 degrees).

And finally, how smooth of an idle should I strive for with this setup?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
1.) 0 is right TDC
2.) 15 plus advance since you got bigger cam
3.) That depends on compression and cam. I got 270 duration cam and it's smooth idle

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yo2000, is top dead center "0" on the basically-stock 260Z also? I say basically, because, I am not the original owner and a very few items, such as the EGR valve are off the car. If not, where is it? Is it best to adjust it right on the money for smog and where is right on the money? Should I advance it or retard it about 5 degrees from normal while having it smoged or adjust it right on the money? Your help has always been helpful and appreciated. Ernest 240/260Z

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.