Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.....YOU ALL ARE FABULOUS !!!

1984 NISSAN 300ZX TURBO 2+2

Thanks so much for all the help....my car would not start.....I tried everything.....I mean I have put in about $200 putting in a new alternator, clutch fan, thermestat, timing belt, pcv valve, distributor cap & rotor, and last but not least a fuel filter

we lined up everything correctly on the timing belt.....counted the teeth....EVERYTHING

I only have to bother you guys for one more thing..........when i finished it all....IT STARTED !!!

but......it runs rough....I mean it sounds a higher pitch, I havnt put the altinator belt, or crank pulley belts or covers back on yet.......but could it be a little bit out of time through the distributor at all ???

I read in here to set distributor at 9pm.....but shouldnt you set it directly at #1 plug, which is at about 7PM???

at 9PM it is sitting in the middle of that big gap on the cap between #1 & #4

I just wanted to verify this as I thought it should be set directly ON #1 plug??

anyways Thanks a lot......Lorelei

·
Registered
420 Posts
wait, wait. You're scaring me. You said ".....higher pitch....". Does your car now sound like its whining? If so, you might have tightened the timing belt with too much tension. I did this with my '88 and it sounded like a higher pitch. Make sure it's not too tight...you don't want to lose that engine in a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have it where the rotor points a little before #1 like more towards your thermostate housing then check your plug wires agian to make sure there right and also make sure the CHTS is also plugged in on the drivers side head. Hey my car also makes the whining sound at idle then stays for second while I rev it then it goes away about 2000rpms Im pretty sure its my timing belt I just changed when I put my motor in but everybody said to make sure you could twist the belt 70 degrees in between the two camgears which I did so hopefully its ok! either that or belt is grazing the timing belt cover.

·
Registered
657 Posts
red:
i hope he doesnt think you mean the dist. hold down screw....

line up the marks on the dist. gears( there are 2 so buy a book). rotate the entire assembly so that the rotor is just before 9. put the thing in the hole... the rotor should rotate counterclockwise when you put it in...... rotor should point at 7 when its in........... or as red said "at the dist. CAP hold down screw

·
Registered
782 Posts
lol really that would run like ass if it started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.