ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 86 z31t and my timing belt recently slipped. My question is that in the manual it said that if there is resistance when turning over the engine by the crankshaft then your valves are hitting the top of the cylinders. Is there always going to be some sort of resistance just from cranking your engine over. As it would get harder to turneventually it would hit a pinnacle and quickly rotate past as if it was almost spring loaded. ( I know its not but that the only comparison i can think of. Sorry for the stupid question

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
it is spring loaded, valve springs. unless you've removed the plugs the compression would give a small amount of resistance too. if youd bent a valve you wouldnt be able to rotate the engine past that bent valve.

·
Registered
880 Posts
the resistance, then sudden relief , is the piston compressing air on the compression stroke, then the exhaust valve opening.. letting it all out at once. i would do a leak down and compression test.

·
Registered
880 Posts
red i know the 4 stroke cycle.. although i agree, i mis typed what i ment.. had a long night last night.. lol glad to have someone like red to catch my mistakes~ gracious

·
Registered
782 Posts
piston always chases the exhaust valve but I got lucky on my car when the belt slipped, I turned it over a few times to see if my distributor was turning and it wasnt so I changed the belt and put it back together and it had a slight tap for a while but after about 3000 miles it went away. Then later fell victim to Nitrous. rip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.