ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My timing chain is making the lovely slapping sound and I've been told that the tension is loose on my timing chain.

The haynes manaual says the engine has to be removed to replace it.

My question is: is this true, do you have to remove the engine to do the timing chain, and is it possible to get at the tensioner without removing the engine?

Not looking forward to paying someone to remove my engine to do the BLOODY TIMING CHAIN ARRGH!

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do not have my manual here at work, but I can not see why you would need to remove the entire engine, it would certianly make it much MUCH easier, but if you remove the radiator and all the other junk in the way you should be able to get at it. Anyone else have any input?

Scott.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: Timing Chain</b>

Yes, pulling the radiator is the way to go when removing the timing cover. I always loosen the oil pan bolts to midway on the engine to give the cover room to come out and back in. Other points to remember are, one of the water pump bolts goes through to the block and must be removed, the oil pump must be removed because it obscures on of the cover bolts ( I've seen corners on covers broken off ), and two bolts at the front of the head must be removed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re: timing chain

hey sue...i'd get another manual. my clymer manual that covers 70 to 78 (your 79 should be the same-hopefully), says to remove the radiator, fan, distrib, oil pump, oil pan, and crankshaft pulley...then remove the timing chain cover/water pump as a unit. it would be eaiser if the engine was out...and you had a shop with all the appropriate equip. good luck :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Are you sure it needs to be replaced? I'm not farmiliar with the setup on the 79, but with the older ones there is an adjustment you can make to correct for a stretched chain (up to a point, that is)

It only requires removing the valve cover and top pulley.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.