ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the head, off, and put enought tension on the timing chain to make sure that the tensioner doesn't fall off or anything, but I can't get teh cahin back on the sprocket to get it back on the car.

I have the motor and the head at tdc (the motor iis at tdc when the notch on the pulley is at zero timing correct?). I'm not sure if there is slack at the bottom pulley? meaning the very bottom of the pulley is skipping a link, it's hard to describe, or is the tensioner just too tight?

How can I safely reinstall the timing chain for correct timing?

Thanks for any help,

Tim

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sorry bro, it's time to rip the front off the engine. Remove crank pulley timing cover, lower oil pan......I think Blues tips or maybe Kammy has done a writeup on the procedure.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I just did this last night. To get the front cover off on the car to re-tension the chain you can lower the front sway bar to so the oil pump can clear. Or you can disconnect the engine from the engine mounts and jack it up at the tansmission. The later is my personal favorite as I have done it about 4-5 times. I have it down to an fine art now. Also lifting it makes getting the oil pan bolts easier. But like"FlipFlop" said "Sorry bro, it's time to rip the front off the engine".

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
putting tension on the chain won't keep the tensioner from popping out; you have to wedge a piece of wood or a big ole screwdriver down there, so it is pushing directly sideways on it through the chain.I fee l for ya, I really do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, ok
hard hard will it be to do all this? especially with the crankshaft bolt and fan on the car and everything?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
yeah it's gonna be hard; on the first z-cars it wasn't too bad but with all the stuff on the later cars, you gotta do a lot of work just to get at the timing cover.plan a weekend; and don't count on driving it on monday....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, it's been 4 hrs worth of work, and i've got everything off (including the crank bolt) except the crank pulley and front cover. I started when i got back from a meeting at 6pm and decided i didn't have the right parts to pull the pulley at 10pm :) After I pull the pulley and the cover, i will re assemble the timing chain components and then the rest of the engine. It migh tbe a long shot, but I'm gonna have the car done by thrusday. Thanks for the help guys.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.