Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I need a little help.
I just replaced the head on my L28.
Got everything on good no problems, but when I tried to put on the cam gear I just couldn't get it to go on. It only misses by about a 16th of an inch. I'm figuring the cam tensioner took some of the extra slack but I can't figure out how to release the tension without major work.

Could anybody please shed some light on this for me.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
If you are absolutely %100 sure carved in stone that the tensioner didn't pop out you can pry gently under the cam gear to help lift it that extra little bit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
graham is right... If it did pop out, there is nothing you can do to get it back in except for removing the front cover and put it back in... I learned this the hard way too and bought a MSA chain spacer tool to avoid this in the future, $10.00.
Good luck,
Jerr

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I installed a cam and did a valve job this happened to me. I would STRONGLY advise pulling off the front cover. I know it is a bunch of exta time, but it is better than a bunch of money to fix a motor. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. Is there a definitive way to tell if it fell out? Because I'm pretty sure it did, I tried to pry the cam gear on to the cam and it just wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You just answered your own question, I believe it needs to have the front cover pulled. When you do it buy new guides and tensioner, they are cheap. Go luck. If you need help, you have plenty of guys and gals here that are glad to help with their advice.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Before you remove the cam sprocket you have to wedge the chain in the guides. The tensioner works off oil pressure but there is a spring in it and if you don't wedge the chain it will pop out. Even if you do wedge the chain it is normal to have to pry up on the sprocket to get it to engage the cam. In your case it sounds like your going to be pulling the timing cover off. It's the only way you can get the tensioner back in. Good luck! If it helps everyone with a Z or 510 has done it once!

·
Registered
572 Posts
there is another way

Check the archives. I think Norm made a post a bunch months ago that described something else you can try. I believe this involved rocking the cam gear by turning the crank slightly. If your tensioner has come out - you need to pull the cover. It isn't as bad as it sounds, but if you pull the oil pump, take special care on the alignment as per haynes - it has to be put in right or you will never get your timing correct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.