ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this last summer i finnaly got my 260 on the road(got all the parts for my tripple webbers) after a month or two of driving the mototr started to rattle at low rpm as you rev'd the motor. i thought it was the valve lash so i adjusted it and re-adjusted it to no avail. then i got to thinking and i checked my timing chain, it was loose as ****! i dont know if a guide came loose and/or if the tensioner came out. the motor only has around 25k mile on it. any tips or tricks on bullet proofing the timing chain setup? sometime before spring i'm going to take it apart and fix it.

anybody want to buy a set of 30mm chokes?
my email:
[email protected]

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I think i'm having timing chain noise in my 260 also?? I was wondering if you had to pull the motor to get at it? Would you have any tips for me?? And what kind performance problems it was causing you? I've been building my Z for about 6 months now and i'm very close to completion.

Thank You,
Todd

· Registered
5,837 Posts
My project today was to remove the front timing chain cover and inspect all the timing components. No you do'nt have to pull the motor. Yes you do have to pull the oil pump, distributor, clutch fan, belts, crank pulley, and maybe water pump. I already had the motor down to the block minus head, manifolds and radiator so the job was easy. Use a wooden shim to compress the tensioner if you dont want to remove the chain from the crank sprocket or are putting it back together. There is a link on the chain called a bright link, it is a brighter color than the rest. Mark the sprocket where this link falls at TDC and put the chain back on so the mark matches when starting to re- assemble. Finding a service manual would be a good idea because I am fairly new at this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.