ZCar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems suppliers are out of stock on this tool. I'm understanding that I can make one. Can anyone provide the correct dimensions and thickness so that I can do this. I need to replace a head gasket and it is highly recommended to use something to keep things in place.

Thank you,
Jayson

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,668 Posts
This is only marginally helpful...

I've seen discussions where there were templates shared, but it has been a while and I'm not sure whether it was here, at Classic Zcar Club or perhaps at the Z Car Home Page in the references. Searching will probably be needed.

And you might check this thread: Datsun L24, L26, L28 chain wedge dimensions ....following a link in that thread I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q8TV4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01 BUT it was for a later model engine. The general shape is similar.

I will offer this - the shape of the wedge is hard to understand until you've seen the timing cover off and visualized where the chain tensioner is located. It's much lower on the chain than I thought, and the bottom third of the wedge is critically important.

Whatever else you do, don't forget to set that crank at TDC before you remove the head! (Don't ask how I know this....) I will also say that if you have to remove the timing chain cover, do it before you get the head replaced, as it's very difficult to get all the gaskets to stay in place when installing that chain cover with the head in place; much easier if it's done before the head is installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is only marginally helpful...

I've seen discussions where there were templates shared, but it has been a while and I'm not sure whether it was here, at Classic Zcar Club or perhaps at the Z Car Home Page in the references. Searching will probably be needed.

And you might check this thread: Datsun L24, L26, L28 chain wedge dimensions ....following a link in that thread I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q8TV4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01 BUT it was for a later model engine. The general shape is similar.

I will offer this - the shape of the wedge is hard to understand until you've seen the timing cover off and visualized where the chain tensioner it located. It's much lower on the chain than I thought.

Whatever else you do, don't forget to set that crank at TDC before you remove the head! (Don't ask how I know this....)
LOL! Thank you very much for your advice. I'll look at the threads you suggested. Best, Jayson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have this tool in stock at thezstore.com !

Andrew- thank you for this information. I did see those but didn't realize they were the same thing based on the shape of the ones I'd seen. I will be ordering one along with everything else I need for a successful head gasket replacement. This is on a 1974 260Z with just over 60k original miles. I've had this car since I was 15 and am now 54. Any suggestions on other items I should include other than the new head gasket would be very much appreciated.
Jayson

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,668 Posts
Andrew- thank you for this information. I did see those but didn't realize they were the same thing based on the shape of the ones I'd seen. I will be ordering one along with everything else I need for a successful head gasket replacement. This is on a 1974 260Z with just over 60k original miles. I've had this car since I was 15 and am now 54. Any suggestions on other items I should include other than the new head gasket would be very much appreciated.
Jayson
That fooled me, too...but the business end of that tool and the critical point is about four holes up from the bottom. Everything above that is just to help handle the tool.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I sell my own version of the chain block. I make them out of oak so they will NEVER wear out. Originally I made them out of fir but after a few uses they started breaking down and would leave small chards of wood on the chain guides which I didn't appreciate to say the least. The zcar.com price is 7.61 and they fit better than the plastic ones. I haven't used a plastic one since 1985. Z man of Washington

Attachments

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seems suppliers are out of stock on this tool. I'm understanding that I can make one. Can anyone provide the correct dimensions and thickness so that I can do this. I need to replace a head gasket and it is highly recommended to use something to keep things in place.

Thank you,
Jayson
I bought one at autozone. Part 24207 for $20.00. I was careful not to damage it and then returned after I was done for a full refund.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts