ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The word came back on my Z and I need a new waterpump and timing belt. The timing belt was replaced only 35,000 miles ago. What would ruin the belt in 35k miles? Also, if there is something else wrong with the engine that is causing problems with the belt, what's the chance that it's going to screw something else up in the next few months? I'm only keeping my Z until August and then I have to go off to school so no more Z. Is it worth shelling out $550 for the next few months? I wish I could do the work myself but that just isn't going to happen. On a related note, what do you think I could get for it if I sold it. Blue book said 1,300 but I doubt it. It's an '88 2+2 5spd. Power everything, radio is sketchy (could be the harness or the radio), a little rust on the passenger rear wheel. Paint is decent...few spots here and there. I'm thinking maybe $700 but the market here in Vermont isn't great.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
first it would help if you tell us the milage, second a picture sure helps.

Nissan T-blets should go 60k with no problems, I really can't tell you what would make a tbelt go bad at 35k!!! maybe it was put on way too tight but that's only a guess.
if the milage isn't way high I can't see why you can't get $1000 for it!!
where are you at???

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the water pump was leaking coolant onto the timing belt, that would deffinatly be the reason why it went at 35K, Coolant deteriorates belts pretty quickly

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad...there are about 130,000 miles. I'll try and get some pictures up but the car is in the shop right now and I'm not sure when I'll bring it back. I'm located in Burlington, VT if anyone is interested in checking it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.