ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Yesterday I put in a new timing belt . today I went to start the car and adjust the timing but when I went to start the car it back fired and I think it stripped out the new belt . Any explinations???? I really want to get my z Back on the road it has been broke down for over a month now OH and by the way i didn't but the 90tt I looked it over and when I seen it was a turbo I refused the motor I only wanted to replace it with a nother non turbo.

Any help you give me here will be greatly appreaciated . (SORRY CAN"T SPELL TOO GOOD).before the belt stripped it did run for like 10 seconds and backfire though thanks again.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
you probably put the belt on wrong. If you are lucky, you only destroyed the belt and not your heads...otherwise, hello new engine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The belt was probably too loose when you tried to start it. Slipped a tooth ot more, backfired, and then died. Hope you didn't mess up your valves
when the teeth skiped. Looks like you have another long week-end ahead of you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
this time rotate the engine using a wrench, make sure that you have the tension right!!!!!

Did you get a new tensioner before you did this????

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
New or old tensioner, it's all about the tension. YOU SHOULD only be able to TWIST the timing belt 45 degrees, looking at it from a cross sectional area. Don't overtighten it though. OOps, that's not your prob. NK.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I trust you observed that the new timing belt had a white arrow printed on it indicating the direction toward the radiator. If you didn't see this, you probably have it on wrong and the timing marks are FUBAR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.