ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on my timing belt. I made sure that the white lines on the timing belt were lined up with the punch marks on both of the cam gears and the crank gear. I made sure the belt was tight enough. I rotated the crank shalf several times. Now the white lines on the timing belt do not match up with the punch marks on the cam and crank gears. Other than that the gears are at aprox. TDC.

Is it normal for the belt to move around like that after the gears have been rotated, or should the lines on the belt line up with the punch marks on the gears everytime it is rotated to TDC?

·
Registered
567 Posts
That normal. If you consider how many teeth are on each gear and how many teeth are on the belt it will take many rotations before they line up again. As long as you lined them up with the cam dimples and crank dimple you should be fine. Remember there are 40 belt teeth between the two cams and 43 belt teeth between the driver side cam and the crank sprocket.

·
Registered
567 Posts
sounds like its good to go. when I change the t-belts on my cars i usually rotate the crank by hand to check for interference then put enough of it back to gether to fire it up for a couple seconds and make sure its running decently. Then put everything back together fill it with coolant and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I dont even worry about the marks on the belt, I just put it on.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
If you think you did it wrong, do it over again. Line the gears up, line the belt up. Rotate it a couple times to make sure you're not hitting anything. And don't worry when the lines don't line up after you've rotated it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.