ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I brought my 85 300zx out of storage after 10 years. With 56K on it I decided to let the local dealer change the timing belt and install a new water pump. Since they were doing the fuel injector recall anyway I figured why not?

When I got the car back it was OK when cold, but I noticed quite a bit of noise comming from the area around the top of the timing belt cover at the front of the engine. This is a whining noise that occurs after the engine is warmed up and varies in proportion with the engine speed. It almost sounds like a turbo would.

The dealer asked me to drive it for awhile and thought the whine would go away on its own. Well here we are in the spring and I'm ready to bring it back this Friday to get this sorted out. I've put 1,000 miles on since the job was done and the whine is not improving with age!

I think that there is too much tension on the belt. I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
that dealer is BS'ing you, the belts too tight and he does'nt want too eat all that labor to go back in and make it right. you know what happens when the belt shreds dont you?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mechanics tend to overtighten t-belts cause it's easier not to actually measure the tension. Plus it will crap out with enough time after the job that they can blame it on something else. Problem being that if it goes...your engine does too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the timing belt issue. I knew I should have done this job myself, but didn't have the time last year. Now I'm in a situation where I don't trust the dealer. This is what I get for being a nice guy and giving them the job rather than doing it myself.

Thanks Again,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.