ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just lost my timing belt out of my car... I know I know, isn't it wonderful. But anyway, I've got the engine tore apart down to the timing belt and I'm trying to get the new one on. I can find the punch marks on the pulleys, can line them up, and even with the notch on the oil pump housing. But where the HECK are the notches on the back of the timing plate cover? Haynes says that there is notches on the backing timing belt cover too, but I'm not finding any, I've done tried to get the belt on once, but apparently it was on exhaust stroke or something because there isn't any compression, and it sounds like the timing belt wasn't even on there to begin with, but it was. So if anyone can give me some tips or whatever about how to get this blasted belt on it would be a ton of help considering school starts around Wednesday, and I'm NOT riding the bus, so please, help make my vacation a half decent one, lol. Thanks.

CrusaderX

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
don't worry about the punch marks on the rear timing belt cover, they are only there for reference to line up the belt. What you need to do is line up the lines on the belt with the dimples on the gears themselves.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but nevermind now, just lined it up perfect and voila, no compression, which we all know whats wrong there. Time to go shopping, Thanks though.

CrusaderX

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok WEll first off the markings all DO matter.
On the cam gear its just a little circle indented. On the rear cover you will probally have to clean it off i did. Say your looking at the gear heads on the mark will be to the Left/Right of the gear and its just a little little raised dot. If you dont line those all up and the markings on the belt it will run like **** Trust me i know from experience i almost lost my motor over just a little little bit

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No, the rear timing belt cover markings have 0% relevence on wether the timing belt is installed right or not. All that matters is the dots on the gears themselves and the oil pan mark, and the lines on the belt.

·
Registered
455 Posts
SORRY TO HEAR THAT. HAVE EM REBUILT AND GET SOME MORE COMPRESSION LIKE ME. ITLL COST YA THOUGH>

·
Registered
373 Posts
I lost my timing belt and bent 5 intake and 1 exhaust valves.
Had the heads done and valves replaced and only cost my $250.00. done all the instalation and teardown myself using haynes thank God I did too I neaver worked that far down into any motor before but its runing fine now.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The marks on the rear cover are of the most use before removing the belt, particularly when there has been no fault with belt timing and the heads will not be removed. The marks let you establish that #1 is at TDC compression. You could get a similar result by watching the position of the dizzy rotor. It's just another option.
If the belt has failed during operation and the cam pulleys are anywhere except where they are supposed to be then you will be removing the heads anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.