ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 non turbo with 149000 miles on it. Still runs great, these are great cars, and I haven't had the timing belt changed since 61000. I am planning a trip over the holidays of 1000 miles or so. Should I be worried about the timing belt breaking? Anyone else with high miles on the timing belt?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
HOLY SH!T CHANGE YOUR BELT!!!!

60,000 miles is the MAXIMUM you should go without changing your belt. Honestly, I wouldn't drive it period until you change it. If that belt breaks, say bye bye to your car. It takes one day to change the belt yourself, say three days if you are not very mechanically inclined. Its well worth the time to save the whole engine from certain death.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
the whole engine dies? I thought the heads have to be rebuilt? granted, that isnt minor but its not like you lose the car if it breaks.

I agree, change your belt ASAP.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I definately agree, change the belt ASAP. The whole engine doesn't necessarily die, but it could. Depends on what speed you're going when it snaps. If it's only idling or low RPMs, you might get lucky and just bend some valves. Highway speeds or high RPMs, you're screwed. When pistons and valves meet, things don't end well. This is a perfect example:

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=142307&t=141579#reply_142307

Change that belt soon or you will regret it.

Post Edited (Nov 21, 10:48am)

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
anything can happen from nothing to total engine failure with broken pistons, valves, and scarred cylinder walls.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yeah ZBums right.

But I would DEFINETLY change the belt soon.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
You're a lot less likely to be one of the "nothing happens" scenario people though. Change the belt. Its been 88,000 miles. You've almost gone 50% longer than the life of the belt is supposed to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
and he has also gone 88,000 miles fine, another 1000 is nothing. I would put my money on it making it to 95,000 easily

you clowns are funny and bad at statistics.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't listen to the clownsrus change your Belt I lost mine at an idle and bent 5 intake and one exhaust valves.my car was down for three weeks getting the money together to have the heads redone.compare 300 dollars by doing it my self to 25 dollars the price of a Belt only.
If I had taken my car to the shop to have it fixed it would have cost 1500 dollars to fix. but like Z-bum and the others say replace it before its too late.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
clownsrus wrote:

> and he has also gone 88,000 miles fine, another 1000 is
> nothing. I would put my money on it making it to 95,000 easily
>
> you clowns are funny and bad at statistics.

This is absolutely stupid, you know that? The farther from 60k he gets, the more likely it is to snap. And it's exponential.

Post Edited (Nov 21, 4:38pm)

·
Registered
724 Posts
863ZX............in the words of Clint Eastwood......."Do you feel lucky punk.....well.....do you". Just a quote, nothing personal. If you're a gambling man......the odds are way against you on this one. Just goes back to an old saying I heard years ago....."Common sense just isn't that common anymore." I hope the light bulb comes on before you decide to take that trip. Good luck.

Special Ops Lives!!!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
clownsrus: The stupidest thing I've heard anyone say in a long time is to see if the belt will go to 95,000 miles before it snaps. Before I thought you were just ignorant, but now I think you're trying to be a jackass on purpose.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Maybe if they were drinking....otherwise I'm not so sure...

Bum might talk a tough talk, but he's about as big as I am..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, timing belts suck. Mine broke, and I bent EVERY flipping valve in the thing! But I'm kind of glad mine happened, I needed a rebuild anyway. One thing though.... when mine broke, it seems to have seized EVERy oil ring on every piston... I never thought that would happen, but oh well, guess it did. Just got my rings on and the bottom end about finished up, so it shouldn't be too much longer :) Maybe my car will run a little better than it did considering I didn't have a CHTS, my knuckle that goes to the rack and pinion is going out, *sigh* so many repairs, and so many repairs all worth it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.