ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in after 10+ hour's in the garage today, I got my timeing belt replaced and everything set (minuse the AC belt since the **** thing never worked anyways). It drove like a dream for about 2 minutes around the block then it started to sputter at low rpm. Now whenever I quickly rever it it studders then takes off.. timeing must be out again so tomarrow morning i'm going to rip everything off and try it again.

edit: Ripped apart my car at 2 am caus I couldn't sleep. I noticed that the white lines on the belt aligne with the dots stamped onto the gears but the dots to not line up with the groves stamped into the back of the timeing belt cover. I turn the gear to align one and that one aligns but the other two move out of alignment. It's at TDC, I heard that if you take of the belt you can't turn or align the gears to accept the new belt but I was wondering if I take the belt of I could move the gears seperatly so i can align the dots and the groves then put the new belt on aligning the white lines with the dots? I won't try this till I get some feed back on that idea.

This may help a little with what i'm trying to say (sorry for the crude drawing, just pretend that the belt is tights, and all the lines on the belt match the dots on the gears)

Post Edited (Sep 11, 1:58am)

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is what I would do i wouldnt worry about the lines on the belt just make sure the gears and the back cover line up and when you put it back on start at the top left cam gear and work around to the crank making sure its tight then tension only the one side other wise if it is loose then it woll move them out of alignment when you tension it

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!!!!!

What you need to worry about is the lines on the belt and the marks on the GEARS. If both the lines and the dimples on the gears are correct, and the mark on the crank, then you will have ZERO problems. Make sure you tension it correctly as well.

You can take the belt off and move the cams independently to get them to line up. Just don't rotate around all the way, turn them enough to get lined up with the belt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually he said "I noticed that the white lines on the belt aligne with the dots stamped onto the gears but the dots to not line up with the groves stamped into the back of the timeing belt cover" so the belt and the gears are already lined up and it still runs like crap Normally I would say the same thing "just line it up with the belt" but it is lined up with the belt and it is throwing it out of alignment with the back cover I would trust the back cover before id trust the belt

What I would do
I would untension the belt move the cam that IS aligned two teeth to the right and retension the belt

Post Edited (Sep 11, 10:13am)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just moved the drivers side cam and it's now aligned with the back of the timeing belt cover, now the lines on the belt do not match up with the dots or the grooves. I think i'm just going to aligne the passenger side dot, line and grove then put the belt on tight as i go around the other gears, then i will tensen it

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The rear timing belt covers do not matter. All that matters is the marks on the gears, and the lines on the belt.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm... and also is it the 2 dotted white line for two cam pullys and the solid white line for the crank?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've done 3 of these in the last 2 years. Save yourself some aggravation. It'll take you maybe 5 more minutes but will be worth it. I'm sure you don't want to have to tear this down again. Take the belt off. Line the cam gear dots up with the rear plate. Line the crank dot up with the notch in the cover. Make sure the arrow on the belt is facing the right way. I put a dot of white-out on the edge of the belt for the line corresponding to the crank. It makes it easier to see. Now put the belt back on. The lines on the belt will only line up with all the gear dots one way. I start at the crank and work my way clockwise.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just finished (5 mins ago) putting my new belt on. I was fortunate cause it was close to #1 TDC so I only had to turn it a little bit for it to line up. I made Sure they were lined up figured out the lines on the belt and put it on everything alignes gears, belt, backplate tensioned it up fixing to put it all back together

·
Registered
548 Posts
I partially agree with domdogg. He's right it doesn't have anything to do with the BELT being on right. But...as we all know there's usually more than one way to do something right. Using the marks makes the whole process EASIER and you know everything is in mechanical time. Except for facing the belt forward, when all the marks line up it doesn't matter where the lines on the belt fall out when you install it. You'll just drive the next guy crazy when he goes to replace the belt.
If you don't want to use the marks get yourself a hammer and a metal block and flatten them out. I use them. I even dab them with fluorescent green paint.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
about this:
"You'll just drive the next guy crazy when he goes to replace the belt. "

You do realize that after you line it up the first time, it will take several thousand revolutions of the belt for the lines to line up with the marks on the gears?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Relax domdogg.. My pants aren't 3 sizes too big and I don't wear my hats backwards. I don't like to brag, but for you're benefit I'll make an exception. I probably started working on cars and rebuilding engines before you were a zygote. Over the years I've had (2) MGA's, (1) MGB, (4) 240z's, (1) 510 sedan, (2) 620 pickups, (1) 1955 Jag XK140, (1) BMW 1800TI, a Corvair Spyder Turbo conv. , (2) Trans Ams, a Boss Mustang, a Scirocco and a couple of VW Bugs. I now have (2) 300zx's. A 1986 turbo and a 1984 n/a. It would take up too much space to list all the cars I've had. It's a great hobby. And even more fun if you can share your knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Nice, a good long list of nice cars. However, that doesn't make me wrong. Oh and by the way, I'm not being disrespectful, just trying to help out the original poster. I hope to have such a repetoir under my belt when I'm your age, but since I'm just 18 as of now, I'll stick with my z31.

oh and just for kicks, it's your, not you're....heh

Post Edited (Sep 12, 10:22pm)

·
Registered
548 Posts
You'll get there. There are always different approaches to the same problem. That's what this site is for. I try and learn something new everyday. Next time I may be asking you for help!
.... Keep your car safe, running and enjoy it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.