ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just wondering if timeing is 10 before tdc on the 83 ax motor same as it was in my 78's. i yanked thisengine from a 83 turbo but yanked the turbo off and just useing the stock harness so far itsworkeed fine but all the sudden i cant get it to run got fuel got fire got air only thing left i can think of is the timeing. so anyone know what my timeing mark should be on the crank pully to the degree marker? should it all be the same on all l28's?

thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did a compression test its ok when the car starts its running on like 2 cyl's though and then only can run it 2 or 3 mins.
also dont see the timeing mark on the cam its self. god i cant wait till ic an afford torebuild the origengine.
yall know where timeing mark is on a 83 cam?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok found the timing mark on the cam and the chain though the chain was not in the right place on the cam with the engine 10 pre tdc. which im still assuming is the right timeing. anyone know for sure please?
got the lower bolt out so i can check on my lower sprocket but cant get the stupid pully off it yet. hope to be able to tomorrow.
also had to use the starter to break the lower crank pully bolt out with my breaker bar and nearly melted one of my fuseable links but didnt quite so ill replace the link and hopethe system its self is ok.
now does thelower timing sproklet have timeing marks on it and the chain or on it and the surface behind it or wherte? thanks for any help

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the compression checker i used showed good compression though cont remember exactly what it was now but it was pretty high on the guage, but even if it is low why would it run great for like 6 months before it gave me this problem? what happoned is i was taking a trip to see my sister in sc, on the way back my guages all started spiking and the battery just started draining, made it to the next exit(lucky me) died at the gas station and a hotel was in wlaking distance (cheer).some guy came by and then came by the next morning and spent half the day helping me find a alt for the car. by the way dont look for z alts in greenville area not many around lol.anyway got the alt and got back home drove the car a couple days with no problems except had to repbuild my fan clutch as it started over heating and the clutch was more or less gone, drive it another day and park it runnibg fine, start it the next morning and im on two cyl's and cont find the reason yet. checked the elec connections, checked the injectors, checked the afm, checked the volume and pressure on the return side of the fuel rail, ect. out of ideas on why its doing this was thinking perhaps the chain sliped on the timeing though i dont understand how it coud that easy the chain was taunt and so far all the sprockets look good, though have not got lower crank pully off yet.
but ill let yall know .

thanks again for any help yall can provide

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.