ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I drove the car (more then a month ago), my alternator belt squeeled (had the belt and alternator changed a few months ago). this should be a easy question, and note Ive never messed with the belts or their accessories before myself. Id look in a manual but thats in my car's garage 2 cities away. What tool will I need to tighten the alternator belt? I live 2 cities away from my car and I want to make sure I bring the right tool when I go pick it up tonight (Im taking it for a drive this weekend, to stretch her legs).

and yes I did search before posting this....

·
Registered
304 Posts
i believe its a 13 mil bolt

a set of metric sockets and a phillips head will do you right

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so just losen the 13 mil. bolt on the alternator bracket and pull it tighter? this is done from under or above the car? how tight am I looking for, as in, how will I know when its the right tightness? I hear you can easily overtighten these things.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You will need:

*a socket wrench
*12mm socket
*small extension for socket
*10 mm wrench
*12mm wrench

There are 3 bolts that you will need to loosen before you can begin.

2 are staying bolts and they are at the "top" of the alternator. One is on the front of the alternator (facing the belts) and the other is directly opposite of it on the back.

The one on the front will loosen with the socket wrench and 12mm socket. The one on the back is tricky. You have two options.

1. (Long way) Raise the front of the car so you can get underneath. Remove the splash guard. Reach in behind the alternator from the bottom of the car and use the wrench *patiently* to loosen this bolt.
2. (Short way) Reach behind the alternator on the right hand side when facing the front of the car. Fit the closed end of the wrench around the bolt (you may have to feel for it first with your hand). Patiently loosen this bolt.

The remaining bolt is on the "swivel bracket" on bottom-front of the alternator (straight down from the top bolt). Loosen this bolt with the socket wrench and 12mm socket.

With these loosened you should now be able to tighten and loosen the belt as needed by using your 10mm wrench and fitting the closed end over the adjustment nut on the lower-right hand side of the front of the alternator. Once you have adjusted it to where you would like it to be (I believe 1/4" of freeplay) tighten all 3 bolts in reverse order and you should be good to go.

Once you've done it a few times you can do it in minutes.

Good luck!

Post Edited (Aug 26, 12:17pm)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.