Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday,
I am experiencing a very frustrating problem with my engine in my '79 280zx. When the car is at speed, just say doing 60 in 5th gear and I press the clutch, the RPM will not drop. It will stay constant at 2000rpm. When the car comes to a stop then the revs will drop back to idle. This only started happening the other day. I have not changed anything in the engine recently. I would greatly appreciate any help, this has totally changed the drivability of the car, ie much more unpleasant!

Cheers,
Adam

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing.

One more thing, when the car is stopped, I can rev freely without it getting stuck or dropping slowly!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: One more thing.

Check to see if a throttle return spring has broken. Also adjust the throttle return dashpot. The dashpot is a cylinderical object on the bottom of the manifold just behind the throttle body. Put an allen wrench in that thing and turn it all the way in or out, (I can't remember which way) to keep the throttle from hanging.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: One more thing.

you may also want to try oiling your linkage...
mine was doing the same thing.. at 2000rpms.... except it did it even when i was stopped...
i oiled it with a tiny spray of wd-40... not enough to drip or anything.. just enough to lube it up... and it hasnt stuck since...
just a thought... couldn't hurt.
if it could... i'd be surprised to find out...
ha ha

-Justin

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Boost Control Deceleration Device (BCDD). It only functions at speeds above about 7-10 mph. It needs cleaning or replacement. Also clean the throttle body well. The BCDD is designed to sloooowww down the deceleration and improve decel emissions by allowing a small bit of air to bypass the throttle plates during decel. Also might have a vac line in that area cracked or off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.