ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im considering buy a 280zx turbo from 1983 but it has a problem with the throttle this is what the description says
"It seems to fuel cut when you go full throttle so I think it needs a new fuel pump but could definitely use some fuel cleaning additives"
I just wondering if this is a deal breaker and how easy this would be to repair i am no mechanic but know a decent amount about cars thanks for reading -frankie

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The worst part of the 280zx turbo is there aren't OBD-2 codes to point you in the right direction. Have a look on here as many owners have had that exact issue and you can see what the diagnostics are in order. Not the end of the world but a bit more challenging than an N/A 280zx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help just one more questions do you think i would be able to do the repair myself or would i need a mechanic

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
The repair will be fairly easy, because parts replacement is easy. The challenge is the diagnosis, and if it were easy it would already have been done.

If the car won't run well, the price should reflect that. If you are persistent and patient you can find the problem. You're probably going to have to learn some new diagnostic tricks. It could be a number of things including bad distributor bushings, coil, fuel, or some combination. If it starts missing and loses power consistently at some specific RPM, it just might (and only might) be as simple as resetting the ECU by disconnecting it for 15 -30 minutes. Depends on the symptoms.

Also, if the turbo rattles under under acceleration or deceleration, assume you will have to have it rebuilt. (BTDT.)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Go with cash and be prepared to tow the car home. Take $100 bills and lay them out on the hood. Keep extras and bills to make change in your pocket but don't bring them into the conversation unless needed. Once you offer a price, don't say another word until he declines or picks up the bills - ie "I don't know what it's worth to you but to me, it's worth $x." Lay that amount on the hood and follow with SILENCE.

I never diagnose in front of the current owner unless it's something that will drop the price. Any problems are the owner's so let him fix them or give your price for the trouble.

You want to do a good look over of the car. There are lists on her of what to look for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts