ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out z31.com and I noticed the throttle body swap from an 89-90 240sx I have already grabed the throttle body and I was wondering if doing this mod is worth it, I just wanted to get some of your thoughts is it worth doing this to a 88 300z 2+2 N/A?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah just swapping that out isn't worth it you need to do other things also to make any reasonable gains.

·
Registered
297 Posts
no, get a turbo and turn up the boost, then you'll appreciate the T.B. being a little wider. if you were a gangster you would go 70mm ford with custom intake manifold, but c'mon, who would actually have the time or energy to do that?

;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not worth the time or energy. Until other mods have been done.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What other mods should be done before doing this mod?? Because I have done some mods...

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
For your non turbo the other mods that would need to be done BEFORE a larger tb was needed would be a custom intake manifold, port and polished heads, cams. Of course to support those mods you should already have intake, exhaust, header, and JWT ECU. So until you have all these mods don't even worry about putting on a larger tb becuase it won't do anything. **** even doing all these mods won't get you more than 20-30hp over stock. There have been people that have done this build up to their non turbo Z's and they only put out 160-170hp to the rear wheels. Not really worth it considering how much money you spend. My mildly modded 280z puts out more than hp than most get with a non turbo 300zx, plus the 280z is lighter. Basicly if you want more power to go faster you have three options. First would be to swap in a turbo engine. Second would be to sell your car to get a 300zx turbo and start over or simply buy a 300zx turbo as your second car. Option three would be to get a whole different car all together going outside of the 300zx. Just about any other Z will have more potential than the 300zx non turbo so I wouldn't continue to mod your car unless you doing it for the pure love of your 88 2+2.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about that I thank you for you input but I disagree that 88 300zx N/T is kicking the crap out of all the turbo'd honda's from my area I love this car I might go with a turbo engine but that will have to be much late... I noticed a differance just changing out the airbox (intake)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you serious?

A turbo will work on a nonturbo anyday of the week. all you need is manifolds, turbo, turbo ecu, turbo intake pipe,turbo crossmember and injectors.

no motor swap needed. "hybrid special" what a joke.

And where did you get that name from ?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
bdijanni: First off what have you done so far? Second, if you are beating turbo hondas in your area then they must be some screwed up hondas. Have you ever dynoed your car or taken it to the track? What I mentioned about power potential of the 300zx non turbo is very much fact. This has come from about 6 years of owning, researching, and doing mods to my Z's. There have been several times when people have posted dyno results of their 300zx non turbo. Do a search and you might be lucky to find them without having to sift through pages old posts. I ran against turbo hondas before and when set up properly with a good driver they run 14's and low 15's and some even faster. The fastest non turbo 300zx that I've ever seen reported on any Z website was a 87 2+2 that ran a 14.7. It had a bunch of bolt on type mods as well as internal engine mods, suspension mods, and drivetrain mods. I think he was pushing something like 169hp to the rear wheels with 180+ torque. Until you actually have a dyno slip or track time slip I wouldn't get too excited about how fast you are becuase it's all speculative. Still give us a list of your current mods and we can better tell you about how fast you really are.

·
Registered
154 Posts
so i have a ? for you guys is it worth porting and port matching the intake manifolds. is it worth the time and effort

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are beating Turbo hondas they must be D16s if you ran a turbo B16 or B18 you would get waxed. Or whoever modded these hondas has no idea what they are doing :-/

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Im not talking about the b16's or 18's im just talking about the 4 banger with like 1.8 t engine I dont know alot about hondas because i cant stand them. But every I get next to one of those guys that thinks their hot on the highway I wax that ass. Im not talking about vtecs I'm talking about the CRX'S and the older accords

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.