ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '82zx, nice in all regards (after all the work i've put to it) but I still want to do a few things to it (any feedback or help greatly appreciated)

1) the air cond/heat system is really flakey.. the blower works but only randomly. when i need cool, it may or may not come on, no matter where i place the controls, and then it will go off before it really reaches the desired temp.. same with heat. I have heard about notorious vacuum hose problems with this type of system, and that I need to go in behind the dash and check/replace all hoses.. is that my main option? (hate to tackle that dash removal)

2) would like to repalce current muffler with glasspak or cherry bomb or something.. looking for warm rumble, not loud blast... any feedback?

3) would also like to deaden road noise. I have seen those heavy and expensive sound matts that you put in the doors and floors and such. Has anyone tried anything else?

thanks all !!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're right it did sound kind of contradictory, but I don't think the soundproofing will block out some nice 'tones' (hopefully), and besides, it can be enjoyed by others as I pull away from them (grin).. thanks for the tip I'll look into it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As per your heating/ac question, if your system is the auto temp control system, I feel your pain. This system is extremely complex, and with some long hours and/or money you could probably get it running right. The alternative would be to convert it to the manual heating/ac controls. There was quite a bit of conversation about this conversion three or four weeks ago, and I guess it's fairly straight forward -- new dash controls ($100 used) and one valve that should be changed ($30 new). If you want more details, I would recommend visiting the archives or posting another question on this sight with the subject help. want to remove auto temp sys from ZX. This should get the right folks looking at your question. Based on your discription below, it sounds like you have a faulty sensor -- it's tripping when it shouldn't be, but you could spend hours trouble-shooting this system, or you could spend the same time and fix it once and for all. Just a thought.

Regarding your other questions, I don't really have good answers for you, but I would also like to get the interior noise down in my '83.

> I have an '82zx, nice in all regards (after
> all the work i've put to it) but I still
> want to do a few things to it (any feedback
> or help greatly appreciated)

> 1) the air cond/heat system is really
> flakey.. the blower works but only randomly.
> when i need cool, it may or may not come on,
> no matter where i place the controls, and
> then it will go off before it really reaches
> the desired temp.. same with heat. I have
> heard about notorious vacuum hose problems
> with this type of system, and that I need to
> go in behind the dash and check/replace all
> hoses.. is that my main option? (hate to
> tackle that dash removal)

> 2) would like to repalce current muffler
> with glasspak or cherry bomb or something..
> looking for warm rumble, not loud blast...
> any feedback?

> 3) would also like to deaden road noise. I
> have seen those heavy and expensive sound
> matts that you put in the doors and floors
> and such. Has anyone tried anything else?

> thanks all !!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I have an '82zx, nice in all regards (after
> all the work i've put to it) but I still
> want to do a few things to it (any feedback
> or help greatly appreciated)

> 1) the air cond/heat system is really
> flakey.. the blower works but only randomly.
> when i need cool, it may or may not come on,
> no matter where i place the controls, and
> then it will go off before it really reaches
> the desired temp.. same with heat. I have
> heard about notorious vacuum hose problems
> with this type of system, and that I need to
> go in behind the dash and check/replace all
> hoses.. is that my main option? (hate to
> tackle that dash removal)

> 2) would like to repalce current muffler
> with glasspak or cherry bomb or something..
> looking for warm rumble, not loud blast...
> any feedback?

> 3) would also like to deaden road noise. I
> have seen those heavy and expensive sound
> matts that you put in the doors and floors
> and such. Has anyone tried anything else?

> thanks all !!!
Kordon referred you to the discussions a few week ago, when I mentioned that we convert these auto climate controls to manual. It isn't that bad of a job, and you shouldn't have to work on it again, like you probably will if you fix the climate control system.
The replacement parts come from a compareable zx, and bolt in, without discharging the a/c. We sell
the used conversion setup. Good luck, Joe
1-800-533-5659 ALL Z

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hehe I like the people that come up to me and want to race with the loud motor and I leave them in the dust. With a low sound aways Piss them off. Sound it good if you can hold your own. But it make your friend look badly at them when they try to inpress you with it. And have a car that dont make much noise like mine

LOVE MY Z

P S I like the look of the dummy when the next stop light man they look Pissed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.