ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I am just starting to get into the car scene and am doing some autocross events and whatnot over the summer. Think is my only car is a small SUV and I am saving up for a starter sports car, but I still have a long way to go. I see a lot of people recommend Miatas, older 911s and stuff. What do you guys think about the Nissan 350Z? They get good reviews and seem like cool cars.
Thoughts?

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,458 Posts
Depends on what you want. The Miatas are probably the most bang for the buck in autocross, and they almost never break. However, there is often a great deal of competition in that class because Miatas are affordable.

The Miatas are an example of the old sports car saying "It's more fun to drive fast in a slow car than slow in a fast car." When you drive a sports car with a smaller engine, you're more worried about precision and technique than horsepower.

If there are lots of zeroes on your bank account, you might consider a 911, but be advised that there is nothing on a Porsche that isn't very expensive. Great cars, fun to run if you have the personal budget of a third world country. :oops:

I've never owned a later Z-car, but my guess is that the 350-370Z cars should be a pretty good compromise. If I make the assumption you plan to work on them yourself, you'll have a learning curve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 350Z brand new in 2004. Great car....highly recommended. I currently own an aircooled 911...they are awesome but expensive. The Miata would also be a great car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nissan 350Z is a good idea for the first car, I had it myself, but it was my 2nd car, but I recommend you for 1 Nissan car, it may also be different, it does not have to be this one for me, it is very comfortable and you can see a lot

·
Registered
30 Posts
never owned either but have driven both multiple times. The 350z is a little clumsy in my opinion compared to the miata. The 911 is way to expensive to really enjoy.
Neighbors kid who just got his first car this year got a g35 which is essentially the 350z in a 2+2 version. He loves it and takes it to auto cross events. Seems to do well for a 17 year old kid. He is into it for $5k, and the closet miata is about $4k in my area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts