ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never seen a turbo unit running off of 1 SU carb before, but Ed showed me a link to Ztherapy.com that shows one installed. Crown SU Turbo Pics

Does anyone on the forum have personal experience with this setup? It seems awful wierd to have only 1 SU carb fueling all 6 cylinders especially under boost. I can only imagine that you would run extremely lean under full boost! POW.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Thoughts on Crown SU turbo setup</b>

My personal opinion is that turbocharging got it initial bad wrap from poorly done carb turbo jobs . The turbo so close to the float bowl can cause erratic mixture, plus the added pressure on seals if it is a blowthrough application . I believe that the crown system is limited to 7 psi, I personally would never go back to carbs given the option . Fuel injection is more reliable, but can be fustrating for diagnosis when something goes wrong .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Drove a crown conversion in 88 and it ran terrible except under full boost (about 8 psi if memory serves) I had a 240z at vthe time, with stock SU's and the carb on the crown motor was much bigger, something on the order of a 2 1/2 inch venturi, keep in mind that this conversion was a draw-through set up, so the load on the carb would be just like a really big motor. later. C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.