ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided against the dash, cuz my "Bitchin' Betty" still works and don't wanna bother with the stock speaker she talks to me through. So Imma put 6.5" Infinity Kappas in the parts that cover the wiring directly above the knees. I'm gonna put a thin sheet of wood behind them and mount the speakers to that. I'm also going to put 6.5" Kappas in the storage compartment lids directly behind the seats. The 6x9 is a popular one there, but goin for 6.5" instead. So I have 4 speakers the same size...I kinda like uniformity like that :) ANyways I'll let you guys know how it goes so maybe you can do it if you've wanted to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Matt, what kind of car are you going to be doing this on? If it is a 280 then forget about putting 6.5''s under the dash. I have 4''s there and the speaker on the pasenger side barely fits because of the heater. I think it's the heater. I have infinity 6.5''s in the back and they rock. I also have 2 infinity 12''s in a custom box right behind the seats. Up front are the 4'' mid and 1'' silk tweet lanzars. Let me know what your application is, maybe we could trade some ideas?

-C.Wade

·
Registered
571 Posts
Infinity....what a good choice, they can take a licking and keep on kicking.
One thing about this speaker is they need to breathe but require limitation to not to pick up unwanted resonance. What I’m referring is the shaky trunks type effect found in cars that have wheels costing more than the car, bassers. I have found this resonance in all of my 2+2s as I push the rear power and the doors shake. SO I had to dampen this out. Infinity is a fine speaker needing a strong somewhat isolation. If you had the honor if listening to their sealed tuned towers you would understand. For the thump pushing your speaker out of a tuned enclosure lower pressure in the box is required to return the speaker back to its original position for the next sound on it’s way. If it is introduces to another sound when not at rest you get distortion. If you really want to kick @ss system place a couple Infinity towers under the hatch. I have done this and wow does it sound good. Then you add 5 doughnut size midrange tweeters to give life to 5.1 surround sound and you will sound …WOW. Just an idea…..

Madeline
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Actually, it wouldn't be 5.1 surround. This implies that there are 5 discreet audio channels. Since CD's are recorded in two channel (stereo) there is no way to get true surround sound (having a bunch of speakers isn't surround).

The best system for music is typically two high quality speakers and a subwoofer (or multiple subs). This would produce the clearest sound, because you wouldn't have multiple, different sounding speakers playing the same channels.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You will have a 5.1 someday and you will get my drift.
They are the best.
My next venture will be XFM.
You need to think big.

Cars are not AM,FM,8-Tracks anymore.
Think on the lines of 5.1 and 24 bit audio before you drill holes.

Madeline...Mrs Know it all.
Hollywood,FL

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Doug Nordins car has speakers in the kick pannel things your talking about. Do a search he has posted pictures of them before.

Justin T

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually you CAN do 5.1 now. If you have a DVD player in your car, they are putting cds out on DVD Audio in Dolby 5.1. Though I bet a 5.1 receiver type thing for your car would be way more than it's worth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Matt I have seen people going 5.1 with an old 486 with 60 or less gigs of hard drive.
DVD Audio is very nice but we have much more in store in the next few years.
Some people are buying mp3 CD Players that will be book ends by next Christmas (Suckerrrrrrrrrs).
ZSpeed78 has finished a system for under 40 bucks just for kicks, this is admirable.
He is taking the baton and running as I’m doing like the tortes moving slow on a hyper system. The “stereo audio” format is history, very soon as multi-channel audio formats become more prevalent. So gang trust me I’m an Audio Engineer for Gods sake.
I work with stuff every day. Everyone just take a chill on what you have and within a year or two things will shake the audio works. Or do like Zspeed78 and I and make one today. I'm looking at maybe 200 gigs now a days. In time...tic...tic...tic.

Madeline
Hollywood 33021

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well it all depends on what kind of sound you are after. If you are after a sweet sounding system, then putting speakers under the dash firing downwards into your legs is not the way to go. For good imaging you preferebly would like to have the speakers in the kick panels, aimed towards the little light on the roof. Now i know this is kind of hard to do in an early zed because the kick panel is very shallow and the accelerator is right next to it (in australia). So the second best thing is in the door pointing towards the little light. This is hard too, so after that i suppose the way would be to bolt the speaker flat to the door. If you are running splits, make sure that no matter what the tweeter is pointing towards the little light. Then put a 15-18" sub in the spare wheel well, add two amps and there you have it.
Now if you don't care so much about the quality, but want it to get loud, then i believe that you should get two sets of splits for the front and a set for the back. Or splits in the front, and 6x9s in the back. Unfortunatly, the 6x9s will drag the bass towards the back of the car. Because where you have your midbass, is where the sub-bass sounds like it is coming from. This is why people put bigger speakers in the front. For loudness, add as many subs as you can fit, no less than 2 12"s. And a couple of amps.
And make sure that your speakers are very very solidly mounted. This is most important. And if you want sound quality above all, spray the insides of the doors with sound deadener, put bits of mdf over the holes in the door, and spray it all. The heavier the panels the speakers are mounted to, the better the speaker will sound. However all this extra weight in making the speakers sound better, makes the car go slower.

I think i might have gotten off the subject a little bit. Sorry. I like stereos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 82 280zx w/ 4'' speakers with a built in tweeter in my dash, I mounted 2 tweeters aiming down on the side trim of the window, 5'' speaker in the rear with twin tweeters, and sealed 600 Watt completely seeled sub in the rear. This system is the perfect setup.

One idea that I have been thinking about is the place where the speakers are mounted behind the seats. This is like a very solid speaker box and it is sealed and very solid. I am thinking about making the hole a little bigger and putting some subs in there to put some thump in my A$$. I think that is a great idea because I want to do a dual stage bass with high and low subs. Oh and my deck is a 50Wx4 Pioneer and it has every thing that you can think of to fine tune the sound. Hope this idea helps any of you sound buffs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.