ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 240. Since I bought it the temp gauge was inoperable. So I go through the procedure to determine the problem. I take the lead off the thermal sending unit and ground it, nothing. Ok so it must be either the gauge or the wire. So I pull the center console and check the continuity on the wire. It's good, so it's gotta be the guage. So I get a new (used gauge) and install it, still nothing. So I pull the lead again and ground it, nothing. So I decide to try shorting the lead to the positive terminal on the battery. The guage works. Everything I have read has said to ground that lead to test the gauge. But I have to put it on the positive side. So I start wondering is my car grounded backwards?? Check the connections and everything is fine. So I get a new sending unit, install it and everything works. So then I try the old gauge. Use the black, which is grounded to the body of the gauge, and the solid yellow. Put the yellow on the + and black on the -, nothing. Put the yellow on the - black on the + and the thing works?? Luckily I only spent $20 on the new gauge and I had to install a new amp/fuel gauge anyway so my effort wasn't wasted.

My question is why didn't it work the way everybody on this board, and the Haynes manual said it would???? Is it posible that the battery is labeled wrong and my car is grounded +?? Am I just an idiot??? How can I test the polarity of the battery??

Sincerely,
Dumbfounded in Dallas

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.