ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes. to make a very long story.... still pretty long, first of all my 79zx non T dosnt have a thermostat <will install one> so most of the time normal driving in cool weather it never warms up to operating temperature, unless idling for a long time, or its hot outside. SO... my original problem was this. when it WAS at operating temp, it wouldnt rev past 4k or so. Took it to PEP BOYS to get diagnosed it to be a faulty distributor. Replaced it with a remanufactured one. cost $130.
Installed it, after having major bogging and HARDLY
idling problems <NOT THE TIMING, WAS SPOT ON 10 BTDC> with this new distributor, I hastled the guys to get me a new one, because I thought the one they gave me was bad.
Finally got my new one. <still remanufactured> Same **** bogging and hardly running problem. After messing with it for a while, I got it to finally rev up alittle bit. revved it a few more times, and then BAM. It ran pretty good. for about 15 minutes. Then one time I hit second gear real hard, BAM. instantly started running like it was before. would Barely idle. would bog if I gave it more than 1/15 throttle. So I milked it all the way home like this. <about 1/8 mile> Get in my driveway, and it snapped back. started running good again. JUST LIKE THAT. Nice hard jerk into second gear knocked it back into crap mode again. and here I am. BARELY will idle, will choke if given hardly any throttle.
It has spark. timing is on.
injectors are getting fuel.
<too much I suspect, sometimes when I crank it, it wont even start. I can smell gas after I crank it for a second and it dosnt start.>Imagin this, a carbureted motor trying to idle with its choke on, if it will run at all.....exactly my case. but it seems as if the car can change moods at the snap of "its fingers" if you know what I mean. but its stuck in -run like sh*t mode right now- so, I dont know what to do. As of right now, I cant even get the car to start.
I appreciate anyone even reading this horror story all the way through. If anyone has any suggestions for me, <I know someone does> I will try each and every one, if I havnt already. PLEASE help. BIG headache. Matt

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Check your electrical connections to your airflow meter and throttle body... sometimes they get bumped when working under the hood and the spring clip comes unseated.... Sounds like an intermitant electrical connection on the fuel injection harness, had this happen before myself...

Put a thermostat back in the car, it needs it to get up to operating temperature... It is not going to run optimally without it, trust me... Zmotors like to run at an oil temp of around 195-210 range, which is a water temp of around 175-180... You want it to be warmer than the free flow you are getting.....

Good luck...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
May the force be with you...

Dude this story reads like a nightmare, wish I had some good info to give you, but all I can say is keep the faith, you'll get through it. Maybe check cold start system to see if it's dribbling or otherwise dripping fuel.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could check the cylinder head temperature sensor as well. Car will run like ****. Bog down and generally will not want to rev up at all. Just a thought.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Mark83ZX, with a modification. I had a similar problem with my '83na - replaced the Head Temp Sensor and the connector that plugs into it (same connector as injectors); it fixed the problem, but I believe the sensor is OK, only the contacts were corroded. A high resistance in the contacts (from corrosion) will fool the computer into dumping a lot more gas than the engine wants. Look for the sensor at the water inlet, there are three or four on the '79, next to the distributor. On later ZX they moved it to the block by cyl #5.
Try cleaning the contacts in both the connector and the sensor, that will probably fix it, if not try a new temp sensor. Check a manual to make sure you get the right sensor, as I said there are three of four in the same location.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>howz the cat</b>

if your car has a catalitic converter, the filler inside could be busted up. This could cause your exhaust to plug and unplug,hence makin car run great-like ****-great-like ****-...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.