Interior Color - Black
6-cyl.
Hatchback
Cassette Player
CD Player
Classic Car
Two Door
Manual Transmission

This is a completely restored 240z Roadster. New parts throughout. GT 2 Class, 10-1 Motor, 5-speed, Racing Clutch, 438 Rear-End, Lowered, Racing Suspension. 13.8 1/4 mile, top speed 150mph. Leather & Rosewood trim Interior. Complete detail with undercoating. Too much to list! Look for it in a future issue of Z Car Magazine. Asking Price: $29,500 Serious buyers please inquire for more details. Call 503-777-6671 (msg)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some more info about it

Professionally rebuilt and showroom ready. Chromed and polished components. Lowered. Race Suspension. New parts throughout - from glass to engine. Complete new leather charcoal/black interior accented with rosewood trim. Exterior color is Dessert Red. Complete detail under car with undercoating. As nice as it gets!! Serious buyers inquire for details.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: some more info about it

> Professionally rebuilt and showroom ready.
> Chromed and polished components. Lowered.
> Race Suspension. New parts throughout - from
> glass to engine. Complete new leather
> charcoal/black interior accented with
> rosewood trim. Exterior color is Dessert
> Red. Complete detail under car with
> undercoating. As nice as it gets!! Serious
> buyers inquire for details.

Shouldn't this go in the AUTO'S FOR SALE section???????

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: some more info about it

Im not tring to sele it I don't even know whos it is I just saw it and my mouth could not stay closed I was guessing that other Z lovers would like to see it

it would make a good Z of the month don't ya think

·
Registered
482 Posts
$30K a bit much, unless it is low mile original

Looks like someone trying to cash in on the renewed popularity of the 240Z. I guess they figure that since the dealership can offer $30K, then why can't they???? I would never in my life pay that much for a Z car, although some people might. The only ones that justify that expense are completely original (not restored) low mileage 240Z cars with matching numbers and everything.

That car has a crappy 4bbl, and looks decent, but is no way worth $30K. It's a far cry from being anywhere near original. Nice paint though. Maybe worth $6-8K at most IMO. One rule to remember when modifying your car, is that you will NEVER get that money back. Sure, it will be worth more, but not what you paid!!!!
Just for reference, an ORIGINAL 356B Cabriolet is worth @$30K. A 1970's Datsun 240Z = 1950's Porsche Convertible?? I think not. The Datsun 240Z is a nice car, but not that nice.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Please, not worth the money

I spoke with Don Potter, the man who built Bob Sharps motors and built the 1000 hp turbocharged L-28. For about $15,000, he will build you a bulletproof 750hp L-28 motor. This guy knows his ****. Special grinds his cams and uses his own fabricated roller rockers. He guarantees his cams to generate 15% more power than any cam you can buy, or he will buy back your old cam setup. Reworks chambers to increase power as much as 30% on an all out race motor. He says he has not had an engine fail in 25 years. Glad I am getting my Ph.D, the first thing I will buy is a 900 hp motor from him for $18,000. He also sells bolt on distributers for the L motor that produce 15% more power with no other mod. The Nissan distributer was designed with a flaw that was never admitted to. And for you turbo guys, he builds a custom stainless turbo header w/ 20 equal length pipes for $1800. Neat stuff to say the least. The point of my story, for $30,000 you could have a high 9-second car that is just a beautiful as the guy who is in this post.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Please, not worth the money

Well, yes, performance-wise the car does not live up to its 30k price tag, I mean for $30,000 for a 70's car that only does just under 14 in the quarter mile? But then again I guess a lot of that pricetag is for all the extra accessories (I say junk, but that's just me) that got added to the interior and suspension. And that's not a cheap looking paint job, it really makes the car look awesome. But not $30,000 worth of awesome, you're right.
But it was a cool car to look at, thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'd pay around 4,000 max

> This is a completely restored 240z Roadster.
> New parts throughout. GT 2 Class, 10-1
> Motor, 5-speed, Racing Clutch, 438 Rear-End,
> Lowered, Racing Suspension. 13.8 1/4 mile,
> top speed 150mph. Leather & Rosewood
> trim Interior. Complete detail with
> undercoating. Too much to list! Look for it
> in a future issue of Z Car Magazine. Asking
> Price: $29,500 Serious buyers please inquire
> for more details. Call 503-777-6671 (msg)

One thing this car isn't is stock and it is only lowering it's worth. Seeing a crap 4bbl setup show's it's only a cheep way to overkill a Z motor. If they at least used a 3-2bbl setup I'd take another look but still it's not even close to worth 30K. I doubt it's even half drivable on the street, the 4bbl setup isn't a smooth running option and that manifold really sucks bigtime, it flows terrible(cyl 1,6 run lean, 2,5 run good and 3,4 run super rich), that manifold has way to much surface area and gas pools on it really bad when cold and when hot it causes a lot of turbulance. It's a cheap, poorly made manifold. I'd rather look into a older V-12 Jag or older Ferrari Dino that can be had for that price. But aside from selling the Golden Gate Bridge with it as a option I'll pass on it.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Please, not worth the money

Your Welcome I liked looking at it so I put it here for other Z car fans

glad you liked it

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: I'd pay around 4,000 max

My friend has a XJS V12 and its fast as ****
0-40 sucks but once it gets to 2nd gear it takes off hes had it to 130 so far on a small road and
hes friend had it on the highway at 180 I was not there and that was stock
he got his for $5500 its a 84? not the older ones but for 5500 that V12 kicks but

hmmm any way to put that in a 240Z?
we might just need to put it in the new Z
but I hope they put a 2.4 inline 6 in it
Please god Please!

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: What is with this Distributor?

> I spoke with Don Potter, the man who built
> Bob Sharps motors and built the 1000 hp
> turbocharged L-28. the first thing I will
> buy is a 900 hp motor from him for $18,000.
> He also sells bolt on distributers for the L
> motor that produce 15% more power with no
> other mod. The Nissan distributer was
> designed with a flaw that was never admitted
> to.

No 900 hp motor for me. I want driveability. But on to my question, what do you know about this flaw, and what Don Potter has done to correct it? And I am surprised to see Don himself say just a dist. will produce that much power. He is the one who downplays how much boltons produce. On a stock motor, you are talking 20-25 hp, nothing small to talk about. I think he might have been refering to one that is trashed, and what happens when you replace all the ignition componets, and the new dist. Anyways, what light can you shed on it?
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
482 Posts

Yeah, exactly Bob. Don Potter is a difficult guy to get along with at best. He does build extremely good engines, and has been for many years. But he tends to think of himself as above all others, and really intimidates the average Joe, when they come into his shop. Granted, he has built stuff to prove that he is one of the best, but he lacks a serious amount of humility. He makes you feel as if modifying your Z car for 'daily performance' is a waste of time, since he mainly deals with full on race cars. Personally I don't really care for the guy, but if you can stand a bad personality, he does good work. It does sound funny to claim such hp gains from a 'fixed' distributor. I would love to hear some dyno evidence or something to that affect. If just slapping on his $100 distributor gives 25hp, then hot ****, that is the best modification/dollar you can ever make. Any more details Jim???

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: I'd pay around 4,000 max

My friend has a XJS V12 and its fast as ****
0-40 sucks but once it gets to 2nd gear it takes off hes had it to 130 so far on a small road and
hes friend had it on the highway at 180 I was not there and that was stock
he got his for $5500 its a 84? not the older ones but for 5500 that V12 kicks but

hmmm any way to put that in a 240Z?
we might just need to put it in the new Z
but I hope they put a 2.4 inline 6 in it
Please god Please!

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
85 Posts

Well Bob and Dave, I would also like to know about this miracle/flaw. This would be for the turbo motor I presume. 1800 for a tuned turbo header made of stainless and gold!!!!!!

Guys just so you know I have never met a real engine builder that did not think their [email protected]#t did not stink. That is the same reason most of them never have a dyno in their facilities. Could not have them prove themselves wrong now can we. If they did have one than I might like to see the proof of their modest HP increases, too.

·
Registered
361 Posts

> Guys just so you know I have never met a
> real engine builder that did not think their
> [email protected]#t did not stink. That is the same reason
> most of them never have a dyno in their
> facilities. Could not have them prove
> themselves wrong now can we. If they did
> have one than I might like to see the proof
> of their modest HP increases, too.

Actually, Don is one of the more respected engine builders out there. He and Rebello are about the best two L6 guys. And he has utilized a dyno. I don't know if he has one in his shop, but I am fairly certain he does. Most serious race engine shops do. But it is really easy to play with the dyno numbers. Take Rebello for instance. While he clearly has some, if not most of the best engines on the west coast,(his engines hold many track records), his figures are significantly higher than other similar motors. As I once told someone else, he is not that far in front of the field,(take ITS 240's for ex), to show the ~50 some hp difference he claims. He states he is getting about 220 hp from the ITS Z motors. I say no way. Not without cheating, which I don't think he is doing. Based on some dynojet testing of some ITS Z's that are very competitive, 165 is a more realistic figure. Remember, the ITS cars must run stock cams, stock induction, any exhaust, any intake manifold, (though 99% of Z's use stock). Keith Thomas did some extensive testing on some ITS motors, and he is the one that found out headers don't make that much of a difference until you get cams, and port work, both of which is not allowed in ITS. He was getting 125-135 at the wheels for the 240 motor, then factor in some 25% loss and that is near the 165, which is awsome for a 2.4L. But back to my original post, that is the first I have heard on the dist. flaw, and am interested in know what it is, and how exactly it works.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
85 Posts

I was not saying he is not respected. I do not even no him. I was just stating that with every engine builder that I have met and knows what they are doing treat the average smuck like dirt. Most are egotistical, if not rude to their paying customers. Yes these guys get paid from racing teams, but this does not offset their expense of R&R most times. They make up the difference from us and should at least respect us. It is not per se a statement against either parties you listed, but a statement reflecting most. Not to offend, but I have dealt with many in non Z-related racing circles and this is my collective opinion.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Engine builders

> Yeah, exactly Bob. Don Potter is a difficult
> guy to get along with at best. He does build
> extremely good engines, and has been for
> many years. But he tends to think of himself
> as above all others, and really intimidates
> the average Joe, when they come into his
> shop. Granted, he has built stuff to prove
> that he is one of the best, but he lacks a
> serious amount of humility. He makes you
> feel as if modifying your Z car for 'daily
> performance' is a waste of time, since he
> mainly deals with full on race cars.

So, if I wanted to completely replace the motor and tranny in my 240 for use on the road.. who would I go to? I don't have the money for it right now, but hopefully I will in the not-too-distant future. I wouldn't be looking for a monster 750HP drag racer, just a rock-solid engine that I can drive across town or across the country in style. Plus, have power to spare going up mountain passes with the A/C on (it gets hot going through Nevada!)

·
Registered
968 Posts

>>distributer flaw.<<

I have had 2 82 turbos and an 83 turbo. Both the 82s had an intermitant miss that I could never track down. Is this from the distributor? It would just kinda miss randomly when idling. My 83 is running a little rough and maybe this is part of the problem as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts

> I have had 2 82 turbos and an 83 turbo. Both
> the 82s had an intermitant miss that I could
> never track down. Is this from the
> distributor? It would just kinda miss
> randomly when idling. My 83 is running a
> little rough and maybe this is part of the
> problem as well.

Hi Brian, Your 82 and 83 turbos are a little different than the 81. Your crank angle sensor is in the distributor, whereas mine is down on the crank. I have finally solved my timing problems and some other HP robbing issues. I would 1st check all your vacuum lines because one little leak and it will miss. I also replaced the throttle position switch on mine just a random guess. That was a lot of my problem. It was idling rough and missing like yours. It was not picking up the signals like it should of and only working properly when I went around a corner. Now it just pulls anytime like it should. As for your distributor you can not adjust the crank anlge sensor like I can on mine, but when mine goes bad it is a fortune to replace. When my CAS goes bad I plan on going to your style of distributor 82-83. I know that the distributors run new/remanufactured for 100-150, so if you are willing to take a shot in the dark go for it. Or just ask a few others in here for their opinion on your miss.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: Engine builders

> Swap your engine for a 81 -83 280ZX non turbo engine, 5 speed transmission, and R200 differential. Go to www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2824 his web site
tells you step by step how to swap.
Good luck.

So, if I wanted to completely replace the
> motor and tranny in my 240 for use on the
> road.. who would I go to? I don't have the
> money for it right now, but hopefully I will
> in the not-too-distant future. I wouldn't be
> looking for a monster 750HP drag racer, just
> a rock-solid engine that I can drive across
> town or across the country in style. Plus,
> have power to spare going up mountain passes
> with the A/C on (it gets hot going through