ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question comes up alot but I have been doing major searches to find some answers and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.
Question is this.. I have an 88 300zx N/A I am looking for the best engine that will give the most gains for the best price.. Question is which engine is going to be the easiest install? Which one will bolt right into my car for the least amount of money with out having to make custom motor mounts and tranny mounts, and custom drive shaft? should I go with the Vg30et the
Vg33et? Or the Rb25det? What do you guys think?
Also I keep coming across this 510 what is the 510? Is that a differnt term for the z31? (prob a dumb question I know, But I don't know what it is)

·
Registered
353 Posts
510 is a whole different car, if you are looking for the cheapiest easiest swap it would be the vg 30 et , the vg33et is the same engine just bored(you can have yours bored before you put it back in), if you are looking for the most aftermarket backed engine wich you can virtually get and part of the engine for it , i would go with the rb25det and bore it out to a 2.8 or 3.0 instead , but it wont be easy as the vg30et swap ,one advantage of the rb is the space , it is an inline so it gives you more space arund the engine , also because more companies make more parts for that engine , they are cheaper and alot easier to find , you can find more info on a swap on the internet iknow of atleast one guy in the usa that has dropped the rb25 in his z succesfully , if you can find a 200zr crossmember , the hardest part would be done , maybe an r32 skyline crossmember would fit , but this isnt for sure , good luck

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is the Vg30et a direct fit into my n/a? Will my tranny mount upto that engine directly? Are the motor mounts a direct bolt in application?

·
Registered
353 Posts
yes the tranny will bolt up and hold the power , but you willneed to buy the crossmember from a turbo car or get if of the donor themounts are the same but the drivers side mount is in a different place to make up for the turbo being down there, you will also need top change out the ecu and cut and splice some plugs into it , and change out the radiator for a two core one , intake plumbing ,and exhaust.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
best engine for the $$$ would be the VG33.

<http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.engine.swap.shtml>

Post Edited (Oct 6, 6:42pm)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
"the vg33et is the same engine just bored"--Many Pathfinders, Pickups and the vans used a VG33E. It would be easier to get the block, and put on the 300ZX heads, manifolds, and Turbo equipment, but you'd still need a crossmember.

"one advantage of the rb is the space , it is an inline so it gives you more space arund the engine"--The disadvantage is that you have almost absolutely no room in front of or behind the motor, which makes it difficult to create a custom cooling set-up, which you would need to do, as well as get the 200ZR crossmember. The 200ZR used the RB20DET, a smaller, less powerful version of the more popular RB25 and RB26.

"also because more companies make more parts for that engine , they are cheaper and alot easier to find"--Although there are many parts available for the RB motors, it is uber difficult to get them here in the States. Many companies such as HKS, GReddy, and Signal simply do not sell them here, you'd have to find someway to buy them in Japan, and ship them here. They do sell SOME parts, but no many. And these parts are extremely expensive. Usually the parts that you see on E-bay and such that are selling cheaply and there seems to be an abundant of them, they are cheaply made.

There is a company currently working on a "kit" to swap the RB motor into a Z31. Here is their site, <http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/>, e-mail them to get the details. There is also Little K who has a 200ZR that he swapped in a Larger RB motor, <http://www.z31club.com/contents.htm>

·
Registered
353 Posts
if you have the crossmember i believe that you can swap the bigger ones in with no mods to the motor mounts it just drops right in .and also z31 have that huge nose that once you put a vertical mount rad you wil have tons of space for intercooling , oil cooling whatever cooling , and i have also read that the vg33 et was made by some company and all they did was bore out a vg33 and it was a limited production , but thats only wat i think i know.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the Vg33e will slide right into the z31?

·
Registered
353 Posts
yes same sized engine , you cant even tell the difference if you look aty it from the outside , your best bet is to gert a vg30et engine and take it apart and have a shop bore it out to a 3.3 or even a 3.4 maybe and do some minor head work like cams,porting , valve angle job. you will have to get different pistons and rods i think , but that is the easiest part and the get some type of different intake collector cuz the stocker sucks , and just with that even with the stock turbo and ecu (fromn a turbo) you will have dramatic power gains ( im thinking liker maybe forty ish hp if your lucky) and will have more head room when you add a bigger fuel injection system to complement that bigger turbo .

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you're going to strip a motor to put performance parts in it, start with a VG33, so you don't have to spend the money to have the VG30 bored. It's the same motor, only .3 litres larger. Like I said, there are some in pickups and Pathfinders all ready to be modded....no boring needed

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exaxtly--that's what I'm looking for I think.. Thanks for the info 1sikZ..
I deffently dont want to have to take a whole engine apart just to get it bored out to an engine size that I can just buy... then put turbo on that! And modd the Sh!T out of it.. So again do you guys think that the Vg33e will slide right in or not?--I know that this engine looks exactly the same but I would like to know if its an exact fit or not?? Only so that I know what Im going to have to do!

·
Registered
353 Posts
the compression will be higher in the vg33 you buy, so you might have to open her up to change pistons anyway (if you want to be safe)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.