ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so here's the deal.after selling my 240 it's time to start planning my new ride.i've always wanted a Z32 tt but am weary about the maintenence issues.can someone school me on the best years to buy and what to look out for.i talked to a buddy about it and he doesn't know a whole lot other than to stay away from the 90-91 models.he stated something about the timing belt.any and all input would be appreciated.thanks

·
Registered
824 Posts
Make sure that the proper maintenance has been done, 60k or 120k, by who,if they have reciepts, who owns the car? a 18 year old or an adult,what was done etc,i bought my with 125k and now has over 224k on the clock,last owner took care of her exremely well,oh and drive the car for a while,all i can say,im sure other will chime in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mailman is right but not on the age thing im 20 and i bought my 300zx at 18 and i have taken care of that thing like it was my kid i do all the work on it they are not that bad just touchy and its not too hard to do alot of the maintenance yourself it just takes time. but a well background on the maintenance is a big thing if they did it themselves or had someone do it cuz i bought another zx with out the background and the thing drove perfect when i bought it with 75000 on it and about a month later it took a **** pretty much had to get a new trany. but good luck and hope that you find something that will bring joy to your heart like only a 300zx can do

·
Registered
678 Posts
drunkinmonkey, while I agree that age does not matter (I'm 19, bought the car when I was 16, and I do all my own work, like the TT swap), you can't deny the fact that we are two very rare cases when it comes to cars. Even though not all of us kids are ricer punks who abuse their cars, the sad truth is most are.

So with that said, I would personally be much more comfortable buying a Z from a respectable adult rather than a kid. But definitely try to get to know the person a bit before the purchase, it will give plenty of insight into what type of condition the Z is in.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey not all young guys treat their car the same way,i also bought my when i was 18,same as you i took very care of it,due to it being my first tt and car.Wish i can say all young guys treated their z32 good,that way we could see more these days on the roads,but unfortunately,that's not the case.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea you are right tho on that there is like 5 or 6 zs in my city and i did not notice them till i got mine but alot of them dont kno about this site and like 3 of them look like they are my age and dont really take to care of their car its sad

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whoa! you guys are making me feel old.lol!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Love the comma work, mailman. I bought my Z from an "old" guy, who also bought it from another "old" guy. '92 with 144k on the clock, and it is apparent that it was never abused. Look in the Articles section of this site for the Z32 buying guide, which can help A LOT. Also, I highly recommend a compression test before you hand over the cash. That, and a million other things that are covered in the buying guide. Good luck

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just bought a 90tt that was a little rough. Cosmetics are OK but had some mechanical issues, and I can handle those being a pretty good mechanic once uppon a time.

The car has been a real money pit so far. And I have to say that this is the most over engineered car and least service freindly car I have ever woorked on.

For that reason I would recommend you buy the nicest (best maintained) one you can find. I am going to quickly burn through the $3 grand I saved on the fixer-upper. The positive note is that I am learning the car like crazy because I have had to work on so many systems.

I would also tend to shy away from the 1996 model year because that is the first year for OBDII emissions. This adds another layer of complexity and there will be several parts that are unique to that year.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'm an "old" guy who bought my Z from a young guy. It was in good shape but I've still put a lot of money in just 'cause you can't help yourself when it comes to fixing these cars up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
hey whats wrong with the 91's.mine fires up everyday and doesnt eat much money at all and she has been beaten for years by her previous owner (he ran cocaine from LA to Vegas once a month til he got caught and spent three years in prison while the z sat in a lot) and she is still a reliable beast.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey drunkinmonkey! Your boy "JinJiro" is 19 and he uses punctuation. He is a year younger than you. Therefore we do not accept your "AIM generation" comment. Not being a jerk, but I would like to start seeing some improvement. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am currently 16 i own a NA so i have had it for about 4 months now. The only problems i have ever had were, power steering and alternator belts other than that she has been good to me.

PS. on i kind of do abuse my car a little but only when its wet, RWD is fun!!!
just don't forget to watch out for the curb ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is your price range? Spending more on a better maintained and pristine TT will save you from spending a lot more in the long-run (maintenance-wise). Besides checking for rust in the obvious places, I would definitely find out if any modifications have ever been done (on it or not at time of purchase), if the mileage is true, maintenance records, and any issues the car has that must be addressed immediately.

I bought my Z almost 7 years ago from a dealership and it was a one-owner car. I called the guy and found out about every single thing ever done to the car (it was stock), any accidents, repaints, etc.

Body-wise, watch for alignment of body panels; mis-matched paint in some areas, and subtle things that may have happened without the knowledge of a less-than-obsessive Z owner.

Read here:
http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FAQpages/usedpurchasing.html

·
Registered
285 Posts
"...i kind of do abuse my car a little but only when its wet, RWD is fun!!!..."

Yep, and a bit of snow is fun too, if you keep the speeds down.

Can't have that same version fun with FWD....or at least so I've heard.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.