ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I only have about 300 miles on my car and my car makes a whining noise up to about 2000rpms sounds like its coming from my belt I already checked my alternator belt that wasnt it not unless my alternator its self is making the noise but it does it worse when I first start it cold and drive it you can here it more but then gets quieter when the motor gets to operating temperature? I took the timing belt cover off and in between the cams gears I can twist the belt 90 degrees but its kinda hard too. I can also move the belt a 1/4 inch up and down is this to tight or what? thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
check your haynes and get a fish scale. put 22 lbs of force on the center of the middle, and check the deflection. If it's not within spec, retighten.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also have an 86 Turbo and can hear the turbo whine (slightly) on cold mornings. I always thought it was the turbo itself and not any belt. It goes away when it warms up. It's not very loud. With the radio off I can hear it though. It isn't as loud as when a belt is loose.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I think my belt is over tightened not loose I have it alot apart right now its seems pretty tight so Ill loosen it a little and Ill let yall know tommorrow, my belt doesnt look damaged but ive heard the belt could break being to tight. With cover off its even louder so Im pretty certian that is the problem my turbo does make noise but its good noise lol thanks for the help I hope Ill fix it tommorrow.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also overtightened my timing belt once and did get a loud whine that never went away even when it warmed up. I kinda like it. But, in the interest of not bending shafts I did have to back off a bit.
It sounded like a turbine spinning!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't trust that fish scale method unless you buy a really expensive one. I bought two of scales. Weighed a 5lb disc with both. Neither were close to being accurate.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh it pretty much goes away after 2500rpms but should it turn easily 90 degrees or should I have to really twist it cause right now I can get 90 degrees but thats about as far as it will go. Yeh the sound it makes sounds pretty sweet, sounds like a belt driven blower or something but I dont want bent valves in my future;( by the way I had my boost spike up to 25psi the other day glad the belt stayed on, I havent really floored it to much since the motor is new but 25 psi blew the silicone hose off my throttle body scary moment for me. later guys

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm pretty sure that timing belts use fiberglass "cord" in them....glass doesn't stretch much of at all...but will break....so the belt should not be kinked or mishandled any.

I use a couple of concrete blocks that weigh 22 lbs with a wood stick mounted to them to provide exactly that weight on the top span (as measured by a baby scale..confirmed by a PO scale).....the end of the stick is rounded some, but straight across the belt.

Twisting the belt is subjective...a known weight isn't.

Too lose....belt might skip a tooth or two.....too tight...might break a cam...idler bolt...crank end?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
yes thats what happened to me my last t-belt job I over tightened a little, but the it went away after apx 2000 miles, I don't hear it anymore, but it wasn't loud to begin with so I didn't over tighten it very much

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright cool thanks for the help guys.

Well I found something pretty chitty when I looked a little closer my oil pump seal was leaking so then instead of just loosening the belt I had to take it all back off! Oh well at least I saw it it was getting oil on the crankshaft gear which probably isnt good, but I had **** lining up my timing marks last time cause of the thick headgaskets.

Post Edited (Mar 1, 3:45pm)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an 89 n/a and my alternator wnet bad, it made a loud sqeiling noise intill it warmed up or you reved it up. check and make sure oil isnt dripping down on it, thats what was happening to me. just a guess....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeh I know but with thick gaskets no matter where I would put it the belt it was half a tooth off pretty the ridges on the belt would be on the ridges of the cam gear, the ridge of the belt would not go down in the notch on the cam gear. So I drilled 6 holes around the cam gear thinking that one would probably line up perfect and finally the 5th hole was good. Then I would line it up with the orginal key then take the camgear off and turn it the the 5th hole I drilled so the belt ridge would fall in the notch. Its hard to explain but thick head gaskets throw off the belt cause it raises the engine if they were a little bit thicker or a little thinner it would have been perfect but the way the 2mm gaskets are the ridge is on the ridge.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeh I regret getting the gaskets but now im stuck with them but I finally got the belt on today and actually it wasnt that bad this time I have it were it will turn 90 degrees pretty easily so that should be good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.