ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Buying a 240z. Live in Melbourne, Australia.
What faults to I need to look for to make sure I don't buy a piece of junk? There are a few to choose from here and I need to narrow the field down a bit. Cosmetic things are easy to spot but I need the benefit of your collective experience. Also 260's are a **** of a lot cheaper - same in the US?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Things to watch - 240z</b>

Andrew,the primary importance is of course, rust. other than that, the 260Z that you see is a fuel injected model vs. the carbed model we see in the U.S. And 260z cars were made from 74 to 78 outside the U.S. whereas we only saw the 260 for 8 months from April74 to 11/75. The avail of injection parts would concern me as the early oddball BOSCH(original equipment) parts can be hard to find. JECS parts from Japan were later substituted, but are made to an inferior(IMHO) standard. Have Fun!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have to agree with kkzracer. It is very expensive to repair rust.

Mechanically, the early 240's are straightforward to work on, with 70-71 and early 72 (I think!) having the simpler (and better) 'round top' carbs.

You may want to contact the Nissan-Datsun Sports Owners Club (NDSOC) which is located in Melbourne. I think they have quite a few Z owners and they may know of good cars for sale. Though, knowing the Melbourne climate, it might be hard to find a rust free Z(I'm in Canberra).

Good luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Check the floor boards for rust. Peel back the carpet, dont just look under the car. This could be the biggest nightmare for a "regular" guy to repair.The heater core tends to leak some time and it is a wretched mess to the passenger side floorboard in particular(US model). Beyond that... Its all straight foward. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.