ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We swapped trannies and did the 120 K service on Luminar's car today. That's alot of work for one day. It seemed everything went well, I started the car and let it idle for a minute or so, sounded fine, then shut her down. We finished all the little stuff and started her again. This time, when I gave it a touch of throttle she started to bog down very badlyand made some aweful clunking like noises (nothing I've ever herd before) until it stalled. I then looked over everything and all was intact. I started it and gave it a little gas and it sounded aweful, kind of like a rod knock etc... But not as consistant. I had to send Tim home with his friend and I kept the car to tear it down again.

I pulled the t-belt cover and the belt still looks fine.... I will know more when I tear it apart tomorrow, I just thought I would get you guys thinking a bit for me...

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Ahhh man that sucks. Youll get it figured out though a good nights sleep and a fresh look at it in the morning will probably make it to where you can indetify the problem much easier.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
just got home and took a shower (now 4 AM). to answer your question david... all we did was add coolant/water and a bit more of oil since it needed it. that is IT. we didnt do a **** thing else. i am just as stumped as you dave. however there is somethin in the pit of my stomach that says check that friggin intake cam that we had a doubt with, i thought about it the whole ride home and i cant think of a SINGLE freaking thing that would cause it to do what it did... i am very very curious to see what tomorrow's teardown reveals so call me as soon as you know anything.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Oh man....sorry to hear guys! :eek:(

I hope that it wasn't my phone call that distracted you guys (j/k)

Anyways.........I'm sure that Dave will figure it out! Keep us updated.

generzx

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Do a compression check. That'll tell you if the cams off. Just hope that none of the valves got bent. Make sure the tensioner is not too tight or too loose. You did take the bolt out, right?

Working on these cars commercially is not as much fun as working on your own car, especially when things don't go just right? Good luck and let us know what the result is.

Post Edited (Jan 21, 5:59am)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Couple of things come to mind....

First ... since the car rattles when you give it gas I would definatly check the Tensioner pivot arm gap and make sure the pivot arm stopper bolt has been removed. (Yes I have left the bugger in before ... totally spaced off removing it) By your description it sounds like the tensioner is a bit tight. As for the bogging MAFS harness comes to mind or the intake piping to the TBs may be loose allowing un-metered air into the system. Deep breath Davy, I doubt its anything serious as the car idled quiet at first startup. The tensioner is real finicky if the gap is even a shade under 4mm. If the gap is too tight I would put in the pivot arm stopper bolt and loosen the tensioner mounting bolts. Back the tensioner off a bit and using a 4mm alan wrench place the flat sides of the wrench in the pivot gap and SLOWLY start release the stopper bolt until the 4mm alan wrench fits in the gap. Leave the stopper bolt in for now and adjust the tensioner so there is a 1/4" belt deflection inbetween both the cams on either side. Torque the mounting bolts back up to spec and rotate the crank 180 degrees clockwise then back to TDC. Check the belt deflection again and if its good remove the stopper bolt on the pivot arm. Rotate the crank 180 degrees clockwise then back to TDC and check the pivot arm gap.
Good Luck my friend!
MaxDoc

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Well, i KNOW we took the bolt out of the tensioner becuase i specificly remember dave removing it, explaining to me how you have to remove it SLOWLY as to not snap anything, then he handed it to me and i put it back into the fan clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.