ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what's going on, I go for a drive last night in my 260, driving pretty hard, but I drive a lot harder when there is no ice on the roads. Car is running fine and my temp gauge is reading around 170, as always. It's bloody cold out (canadian winters). I get home, look under the hood and lo and behold, my exhaust manifold is glowing red. I have never seen this before on my car and it occurs to me that this probably wouldn't be good for a cast iron head, nevermind an aluminum one. Have I done something to spite the Z gods? Is this an everyday occurance? I must reiterate that I drive the car a lot harder in the summer when it's also a lot hotter outside. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks for any input.
Steve.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I never seen my exhaust glow at night. I've seen turbo do that. My ignition wires flash at night : )

·
Registered
201 Posts
You might have a blocked cat or restricted (collapsed) exaust pipe from hitting something.

·
Registered
685 Posts
yo2001 If your ignition wires flash at nite they are shot and beyond there useful life . I think the post that exhost is restricted is a good possibility also running lean . But check the timing also ,but by all means check t he mixture. Gary Portland Or.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sounds like running lean. It could also be that the headers are just pretty thin and heating way up. I had a friend with a 350 Chev that used to glow on one side but not the other. Was simply a case that the metal was thinner on one side. He has his ceramic coated so he was a bit ticked off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.