ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 280zx and I can't find the right Thermal Vacuum Valve and it is getting frustrating. The one in the pic below is my second attempt at getting one. Motorsport Auto doesn't have one according to their website and the one below came from Z-Car Depot. O'Rileys can't get this one either.

I have two questions. First, does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a replacement? Second, can I by pass this without causing issues? I would like to get rid of some of the emissions parts if possible just to clean up the engine compartment. I appreciate the help!

The broken TVV had two ports on it like the new one shown, but you can see the difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a few extras. Let me know if you can’t find one and need one.

Came off a 82’ ZX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it. I’m going to call Z-car depot on Tuesday about the return. If they don’t have one then I will let you know.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
That valve hasn't been available for quite a few years. It's been gone so long that it's not even in my database anymore. Best thing to do is save yourself some money and agony, put the broken Tvv back in the housing and use it as a plug. Then reroute the vacuum lines. Run a hose from the small port on the carbon canister for the distributor, across the front of the engine to the t-stat housing area, then make a curve down to the distributor and plug in a T connector. One side goes to the dizzy, and the other side goes to a small secondary vacuum port on the throttle body. Secondary vacuum means that it doesn't have vacuum until you open the throttle valve with the engine running. There will be a larger port for the old vacuum hose on the throttle body, and just plug that one off. That system was an emissions system and retarded your timing at certain points. Z man of Washington

1 - 5 of 5 Posts