ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my suprise my engine started right up after rebuilding the whole top end. There is one problem though. It sounds like the drivers side lifters are tapping or maybe the rockers. I was thinking the cam gear could be one notch off but I lined up all the dots with the lines on the belt. what do you guys think, I just wanted to hear some feedback before I call up the head shop and give them ****.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I can think of, is that the crank was not at top dead center on the number one piston. The dot on the crank was lined up with the dot on the oil pump housing but arent there 2 different positions the crank can be in when the dots are lined up?

Would the engine even run if this is what happened?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
As far as the crank is concerned, #1 TDC is #1 TDC.

If you are going to be one tooth off, it might as well be at the crank pulley. One tooth off at the cam makes a bigger difference to the cam timing than does one tooth off at the crank pulley.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called up the head shop that rebuilt the heads and he said if the engine is in time then drive it around the block, so I did with no headlights, hood, fenders, bumpers and only 1 brake light, hehe. after 5 minets of driving the clicking got quieter and quieter and now it is completely gone. I guess sometimes hydraulic lifters take a little time to get filled up with oil.

I do have one more question, between idle and about 2000 rpm the engine has a little put put from the exhaust, any ideas on what this could be? Other than that the engine runs much stronger and the port and polish job seems to have added a good amount of torque and throttle response. Now all I have to do is get the body work done :/

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
With regards to the "put put", I take it you have a rhythmic misfire or partial fire. The way you describe it makes me think it is only one cylinder doing this.

To track this down, first establish which cylinder it is.
One by one, unplug each HT lead and run a separate HT test lead to gound, then start the car and listen for the "putt putt".
You have heard the rhythm of the miss when it idles and is revved so you would have a fair idea of what it is like. If the rhythm doubles then you know that the cylinder you just grounded was working ok.
When you find a grounded cylinder that matches the original rhythm then you know which one is that is weak.

Once you do that you know which dizzy cap contact, HT lead, spark plug and injector connection to check.
There is no harm in a compression check, either, considering there was recent work on the heads.
You may still have a vacuum leak in the affected cylinder but that is a bit trickier to diagnose. At least with some basic shade-tree tests you have somewhere to focus more detailed tests.

It's all basic stuff: fuel, compression, spark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.