ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Z31 hood suppost to be able to stay open on its own? I've never really seen a 300ZX thats hood would stay open without a stick or something jammed under the hood to prop it open. Then again, when I see an open hood on ebay or something, i dont exactly pay attention and look for a stick either. Any1 know the answer to this?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Typical scenario of worn out hydraulic arms. YES, the hood is supposed to stay open when lifted to the "up" position; there's no prop-rod on these cars...aside from the ones we make ourselves. The hood just uses the same old type of arms as the hatch door.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured, I'd just never recalled seeing a z31 hood that stayed open on its own. Thx.

Post Edited (Jul 11, 1:21pm)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
new struts on my hood and it stays open.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a nice brass pipe that I have lying around lol, couldn't stomach payin the expensive price for new struts. However, I did find some good deals on ebay for them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My special broken broom handle works great lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
mine work on my turbo but the po on my NA removed them to "get better access to the engine"

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
89Red300zx wrote:

> I use a nice brass pipe that I have lying around lol, couldn't
> stomach payin the expensive price for new struts. However, I
> did find some good deals on ebay for them.

Yeah. $40 and 15 minutes for piece of mind knowing your hood isn't going to fall on you is just so expensive. /sarcasm

·
Registered
430 Posts
My hood stays open in the summer and if the wind doesn't blow to hard from the rear of the car. In winter...forget it.

For those special occasions when I need to work on the car...I have a length of coolant hose placed over the strut and use it to help hold it up....it holds well enough...but will collapse if I try to close the hood with it in there.

It actually is cut to length so that it will automatically engage the tube and hold it. Some serious engineering was involved.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.