ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i emailed MSA and this is what they had to say about the performance 4-row radiator:

my message:

I heard that the heavy duty 4-row radiators, that you sell do one or all of the following: leaks, needs to be repaired often, doesn't mount correctly and has poor design and quality! can you please clear this up by telling me the truth about this matter? i wanted to buy this item but these claims are making me waunder! please tell me all the details on the quality, perfomance and garantee of this item,
Thank You!

MSA's reply:

Mr. ------,

We would have to say on the radiators they are talking about, they are absolutely right. That is why we discontinued them, and went with another manufacturer who has had an excellent record. We have not had the same problems with the current manufacturer, so believe you will be happy with the radiator. On the old ones, we pushed the manufacturer as much as we could, and helped all those of our customers who had problems that we could (the warranty was still with the manufacturer).

Let us know what questions you have, or give us a call to get yours on order.

Thanks,

maybe this will clear up a few things!
cya^_^

· Registered
1,713 Posts
Hey Sonic!

Ya gonna be our guinnea pig and try it out??
Don't toss your old one out just yet. You might still want the tanks and brackets.

Note that there were lots of variations in Z radiators. In the '74 260 (one year) they had early and late type radiators. Maybe more variations with 2+2, A/C and auto tranny. Dunno. Quite different arangement with the lower hose, if I recall. Don't know how many variations there were on 240s and 280s but would guess there's several.

If you go for it, be sure MSA commits to a proper replacement for your year and type including auto tranny. (Maybe radiator has built-in tranny oil cooler. Dunno.)

Good luck!
Al

· Registered
5,829 Posts
I called MSA about that very same thing you did, and I told them all the crap I had to do to get the part in my car correctly. I sent them back the parts I took off their unit. I also told them not to worry about the warranty. I sent them a detailed of what I changed and why. But like I said they told me the same thing. Anyway, get one, and if it sucks return it.

· Registered
532 Posts
If this is for a 240Z application, then why not save your money and some headache and install a 280ZXT radiator. I have installed many 280ZXT radiators in 240Z's with great success. You have to slightly bend the radiator's frame to clear the car's frame rails, and use a 280ZXT lower hose, but it fits quite nicely. All of the bolt holes line up. I use one in my 240ZT making 300+hp in 100+ degree F weather and it has never failed. It also only cost about $200 from Kragen. The only drawback is that it hangs lower than the frame, so you must be carefull when parking. Those parking lot concrete bumpers will take it out for sure!!! Good luck!!!

Ian

· Registered
177 Posts
i need to buy a radiator for my 80 280ZX...
and am wondering what the best kind is?
i was thinking of going with either a 2 or 3 core unit
preferably aluminum.. i heard those disapate the heat better....
does anyone have any recommendations? or places that sell them?
My ZX overheats with the A/C on... it may not be the radiator.. but.. i wanna replace it anyways..
i also want to change out the waterpump.
can i get a waterpump from anywhere that works fine? or is it like the T-Stat.. and the Nissan one is the best?

thanks
-Justin

· Registered
1,713 Posts
Nissan water pump...

recommended. Only $35 or so! Try getting a water pump for a BMW or Volvo or such! Some dealers will give you discount if you belong to a Z club, or even if you ask politely.

---------- Al

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
MSA Water Pump

Lifetime warranty. They did have GMB units with a stamped impeller just like Pep Boys or whoever, and they last as long. But when I took it back for the lifetime replacement, they replaced it with a MUCH SUPERIOR unitl, exactly like the OEM unit, with the heavy cast impeller and all!

Everybody who sells "lifetime warranty" parts to me regrets it, usually after the third or fourth go-round...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.