Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just registered as a new user and beginning my quest here. Anyhow, I don't have much mechanical experience and it appears everyone else here does, so one reason I joined to learn from you.....my question is this.....I am going to purchase a Haynes manual for my new 280z 1977. Does this manual show step by on how do do things like brake replacement, strut change and basics things I can do to begin fixing the car up? Also, do you see this as something a novice can do, or am I just inevitably screwed and just pay someone. I am trying to save some money on the basics so I can save for more important things I can't do.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Your money would best be spent on a 77 fsm instead. However, these are getting exspensive. Haynes or Chilton will give alot of specs, just not the greatest of info.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Im not a mechanic, either. I have little or no experience with working on my Z. Ive made it with the help of alot of great people here. Personally, I dont use the Haynes, sorry I bought it.

I have a FSM of the 75.... not sure how close that is to the 77... if the experts think it will help you, Id be more than happy to send it. Best of luck with your Z!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
go to courtesy nissan and buy one of their fsm on a cd for ur car for only like 60-70bucks that will show u everything u need to know, also Z's are some of the easiest cars to work on

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Welcome. I say arm yourself which as much as possible. Start off with the haynes since it is cheap. That coupled with the help you can get here will most likely get you through most things. Some time down the line when you can spend the money get the FSM, books like the how to rebuild the L series engine, how to modify, etc. There is a bunch of books on 'how to' on these cars. Like others have stated the haynes isn't the best but for the price it's helpful. The main problem with it is that there is only one chapter dedicated to the 75-78 280z while the rest is mainly for the 70-74 Z. Still being that the cars are basicly similar it doesn't really matter. It's just that all the fuel injection stuff has to be stuffed into one chapter which means they left some of the detail out. Still I found it very helpful for my 77. Also there are guys on here like Blue who have websites with how to for certain projects. Good luck

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
I learned from the seat of my pants with tons of support from this forum. Only had my Z for a year and two months (stored for 6 of those months).

Anyway if you don't want to rebuild the wheel, hit the tech tips link below. I have tried to document most of the stuff I have done.

Don't fear trying anything as this board will get you through thick and thin.

There are tons of resources on the net... especially on the web pages of many on this board. (Kammy, Stonehenge69, Jeffp, Zdoc and countless others).

Also be sure to use the search feature of the forum. Lots of the same problems you will have have been discussed and solved many times over in the archive.

Good Luck and Welcome!

Post Edited (Oct 11, 10:20am)

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
if my cd burner was working i would send you my 77 fsm. But its broke

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
i had never even seen a dual SU carbs setup before last month when my son got his 240Z.

just by reading internet articles, i had them synced, adjusted and the choke working perfectly within 1 hour. no video or book needed.

dont mess with a book that covers several years. get one that covers your EXACT year only.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Welcome.... with the right frame of mind and the help of this forum you will be able to just just about anything. The best source of info you can get for your car is this website. congratz on the new car... have fun.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey, speaking of Kammy, I was wondering what became of him...its been a while since I had seen anything from him.

As far as -Z-'s are concerned, I knew quite a bit about the carbureted -Z-'s, as my first was a 240, but I'm learning every day about the FI. I get a lot of helpful info on this site that a Haynes quite frankly doesn't cover. The FSM is definately the way to go, but its still very helpful to run things by this forum and get feedback from what other owners have experienced/done. I love this site and all the regulars!!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Expect steps like "Remove brake lines" in the haymens. Thats good in all but what is needed (I was worried I had missed something and was causing the line nuts to start crossing).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Skinnydogs, drop me an email. Are you in Nashville? If so, you may want to plan a road trip to Huntsville (where I am). I can hook you up with an FSM, all kinds of parts, and some advice. Read Blue's stuff...it rocks!!

Cliff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.