ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I just recently looked down at my 72 240's odometer, and it reads 99888, but witht the info and past work hostory i have on the car it, is 199888, all on the original engine, it will read all zeros in the next month or so, even some of the hoses were original (which i recently changed), i was wondering what was the most mileage on a z car was and how many you people have, though i doubt too many of you have the original engines, and also why does the odometer only go up to 6 digits?
thanks
kyle

·
Registered
286 Posts
most older cars have odometers that go to 6 digits

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
345,000+

Dentist in Orange Ca had that much on his 73 240Z with original flat-tops on it! That was almost 10 years ago, I think he still owns the car, and is still driving it.
Had a Maxima Diesel with 275,000 on it, pulled the crank out when I junked it for use in my 240, and miked the journals and block out: no measurable wear at all! Amazing engines. Shows you what you can do with proper mettallurgy and oil system engineering.

6 digit odometers were legislated to keep the mystery out of 1,2, 3, 4, 500,000 miles guesswork on used car buys. We had an old Ford F450 up in Freemont with over 400,000+ miles on it, but it had three engine overhauls and trannys every 80,000 or so! The more you drive-em, the better your chances of racking up significant miles before reaching a problem...

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Big numbers, no proof

A couple of years ago, I bought a '76 280 with '75,000' on the odo, and the guy claimed it was 375,000! Car was in such good shape overall that I doubt this number, tho it is possible. Engine (original one) didn't run at the time, but that's because the guy had fiddled with it and didn't know what he was doing. I got it home, unfiddled what he had done and the engine fired right up and runs well to this day. As Tony D points out, I believe it's possible to get almost limitless mileage out of an engine if it's properly cared for. Most people don't do that, or they don't own the car long enough to rack up the miles

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Big numbers, no proof

10 years ago my odometer quit working at 152324. I would guess I'm at 225000 with no rebuild, original clutch, original air cond. with original freon in it(still blows ice-cold!) I drive it 20 miles a day and change the oil every 3 months or so. I do not have to add any in between either. My mother is the original owner so every mile is documented!! I hope it lasts another 225000!!!!!!!
Troy 81 2+2

·
Registered
34 Posts

a friend of mine has a 76 280 Z with close to 400,000 miles on it. A mechanic owned it before him. Only valve adjustments done. Original engine, and the block has never been cracked into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.