ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, i would like to rig an ignition kill switch into my car. but how and where? i was thinking in class today, could i take that button that you have to make the clutch press, and re-locate it so that i have to hit it with my hand or something in a hidden location. Could i do that?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Yep - did simliar with my old '88 Supra. Put a very small micro pushbutton switch up near the roof line where the A pillar trim piece hits the roof liner. Too bad it won't work on the Z due to the t-tops.

Was a good location, 'cause if the car stalled out you could push button with left hand while turning the key. So, locate this switch on left side if possible.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
That would be needlessly complicated, and would get quite annoying if you relocated it.

I'd just put an interrupt switch in line. Put it somewhere inconspicuous. turn it off, and the inhibitor switch won't complete the circuit, turn it on, and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't relocate it. add a second switch in series so the both need to be on. It would suck to start the car in gear accidentally.

If you really want to get fancy they make magnetic switches that close when you hold a magnet near them.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahahahah thats awesome! i mean the whole reason i'm doing this is ive heard about a lot of poeple getting broken into. and there's a kid at college who "claims he used to steal cars when he lives in seattle and atleast broke into many cars" he tells me "car alarms are useless" now dont get me wrong i dont believe this kid, but its like the last straw thta broke the camels back kinda thing.... ive always thought car alarms are worthless and a waste of money unless htey have some kind of ignition kill. how many times have you heard a car alarm go off and were just anoyed by it and ignored it? and if a theif wants your car or something in your car... they will figure out how to get it, a little noise maker wont stop them.

But if i get what you're saying takahasi, i could just tap into both wires on that switch and add a second switch in the seriese, so basicly when the clutch is on the ground, the circut is still open?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
while disabling the starter would stop most, you can roll start the car still.

I think the best way to go in this case would be the fuel pump kill switch.

Also heres a suggestion for you. Wire the fuel pump kill switch into the overhead light switch for the drivers light. Depending on how your switch is turned your car will or wont start. You can then wire the passenger switch to turn both lights on.

Oh course you may also choose to do the same thing just with the start kill switch. your choice.

·
Registered
673 Posts
my thoughts exactly Zluster.... i plan on doing a fuel pump kill switch in the near future (as to the fact my car already WAS stolen) i had never thought of the map lights as a location but that's a **** good idea. lots of wire routing but hey, i'd say thats about as inconspicuous as you can get!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The only thing I haveon my car is a fuel pump kill switch and an electric fan kill switch. I turn off both of those whenever I get out of mine. If a person wants a car bad enough...they ll get it. But I ll make for **** sure my Z gives them **** in the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.