ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79' 280z 2+2 is my buddy. But it has decided not to go. As engine warms up, it will die during driving usually on acceleration. It will sputter and cough as I accelerate, and then will continue its death through deceleration. It will coast to a stop, and then will start right up and go again. Have replaced the fuel filter, a first step- but perhaps someone has had the same thing happen, and knows the quick fix. Thanks, Bill

· Registered
21 Posts
hey man, My car had the same problem..........its an 81 280zx.
It would just die while i was driving on the highway or what not.
Then i would pull over and it would start right up.
When i looked for help in this chat, a lot of people responded saying it was the
ignition module, a little square black box between the engine and the fan.
So I went to get another one ($150 , crazy huh?)..............
Sure as @!#$, that was it.............it hasnt died in a year..........
but before spending 150 for a new one, id make sure thats it.
Ask around some more if you know what i mean!!
But if it just dies out of nowhere, and then starts right back up, thats probably it!!

good luck man
laterz

· Registered
426 Posts
If it coughs and sputters, it sounds like it's running out of fuel. If the ignition quits, it usually stops pretty quickly. I'd check the fuel pressure and fuel flow. Could be the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or a gummed up fuel tank that blocks the screen on the pickup and reduces flow. Another possibility is a clogged catalytic converter or other exhaust system blockage. You need to check the back pressure to test that.

Dave

· Registered
14 Posts
My car has been doing the same thing although it's a 79'.Where exactly is this ignition module located?Is it with the other relays for fuel&lighting on the passenger side up by the headlight on the firewall?No spitting or spuddering just cuts off my fire;kinda of irritating in traffic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.